Looking after my 350....

SWoMP

My 350 is getting on a bit now, 16 years and 115k miles (most of which were done in the first 6 years!). I try to look after it as much as possible whilst keeping it to it's OEM spec.

It had a new engine at 47k miles and various bits of body have had tlc including getting the wheels back to their original translucent GT4 finish. Its had a new W brace, front upper and lower suspension arms, new disks and, of course, replacement exhaust. Its also had a full gearbox rebuild (and got treated to a new gear shift knob!). Most of these have been done from original or brand new parts accumulated over the 16 years.

I'm about to swap the headlight units for ones you can see through(!), some more underbody light rust remedial work, and new alternator and a/c belts.

I think the calipers will need doing next (overhaul and refinish), but is there anything else I should be keeping an eye out for? I read somewhere the timing chain may need replacing but as the engine has only done 70k not sure that is relevant!).

All (well, nearly all) comments welcome! TIA   

15 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

One thing to save you a good few quid, chances are you can sand down (wet n dry) the headlights and then spray with clearcoat. Brings them up like new and lasts years not weeks like those 'restoration' kits you can buy.

But sounds like a well loved Z :thumbs:

@HEADPHONES has done this too, worth asking them how it went, can't find the thread off the top of my head. Think he used the a restore kit, but maybe the results are still good?

Edited by Force

Polishing the headlights will remove any oxidation reasonably easily. The issue is protecting them again afterwards - anything shy of clear coating them (with all the associated proper prep, etc) will mean you're likely to be polishing them at least annually (or monthly, depending on what you protect them with).

The alternative is to polish them and them wrap them UV resistant clear wrap, however longevity is again determined by what you use and how well it's applied.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments.

The problem I've found with headlights of this age is there is also often deterioration of the mirroring within the unit and I've yet to find anywhere that will undertake a full refurbishment including splitting open, re-mirroring, and re-sealing the unit.

5 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Polishing the headlights will remove any oxidation reasonably easily. The issue is protecting them again afterwards - anything shy of clear coating them (with all the associated proper prep, etc) will mean you're likely to be polishing them at least annually (or monthly, depending on what you protect them with).

The alternative is to polish them and them wrap them UV resistant clear wrap, however longevity is again determined by what you use and how well it's applied.

Yeah it's how I did mine, started with 800's wet and worked down to 2000's a grade at a time. Working in alternate directions with each step to eliminate the previous marks. Then on the 2000's rub in small overlapping circles. Once done remove masking, dry, clean with panel wipe and remask for clear coat. 2x 50% coats and a final 'wet' one. Results were perfect.

Mine was an 05 and 12years old when I did them, reflectors seemed in perfect condition and light output was good.

Before:

20180623_122359.jpg

During:

20180623_122412.jpg

Results:

20180623_142247.jpg

20180623_142253.jpg

Edited by Willsy1980
  • Like 4