Admiral does not recognise 370Z reg

daniel_r35

Hi everyone. I've stumbled into a bit of a situation. I'm turning 29 in 10 days. NCB 2 years and counting on a 2019 Civic sport hatchback . Held license for 3 years. Lived in the UK for 11 years. Driven various cars intermittently in another country for 8 of those years. 

I'm paying 580 for my Admiral insurance for the Civic. I've actually had a loan approved for a used 370Z. Dealer is literally waiting for me to drive it off the lot, except I have an issue with Admiral where they do not 'recognise' the registration of the car. They've referred it to their underwriters. 

At the same time, I'm trying to shop around atm. Cheapest quote without a black box is 1000 by AXA. I'm not sure if Adrian Flux or Chris Knott can top it. AF said 'our quotes came back uncompetitive but we've referred it on to see if we can get more competitive rates for you'. Still no callback.

Anyway, it's a long winded way of asking if this means Admiral doesn't want to insure me?

Thanks.

Dan.

Edit: apparently I can't read and posted this on the 350Z side of the forum rather than the 370Z. If the admins can get this moved over it'll be great. Otherwise, any advice still appreciated.

Edited by daniel_r35

12 hours ago, Umster said:

Has the registration been changed on the vehicle before? Any idea if the plate has been blacklisted on Admiral (and its sister companies)? I have a sneaky feeling it's to do with a changed plate. 

I'm not sure. The dealer says it's cleared HPI.

3 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

PM me the registration number and I will check it out for you.

Thank you. Pm'd you.

Do you think 1000 sounds about right then? Adrian Flux was refusing to insure me because they want at least 6 months experience with the car. My previous car was a civic hatch. I said to them everyone has to have a first 'high powered' car.

Chris Knott was saying the cheapest they found was 1300 but that's not even confirmed with their underwriters yet. 

A-plan was saying a similar thing. I've yet to call AXA about the 1000quid quote and I've yet to hear back from my current insurer, Admiral.

Thanks for the replies though. Any more help will still be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

Update: Admiral called back saying they do not recognise the car and it's under remediation? They're apparently trying to 'add the car to their system' and therefore cannot insure me at this time. 

Edited by daniel_r35
Update

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Just do an MOT check on the DVLA website and stick the reg in, if it doesn't recognise the reg at all on there something is not right.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

It's a 20 plate. DVLA finds the car just fine. Other insurers find the car just fine. It's just admiral and what I presume to be their sister companies that do not recognise it. I tried Esure as well and they didn't recognise it either. Not sure if it's a sister company.

• Like 1

A bit off topic, but recently I had a similar experience paying for parking that uses cameras.  The payment machine would not recognize a 0 (zero) in my number plate, but when the better half suggested using a O, hey presto it worked! Bizarrely, the receipt showed the zero correctly!!

The wonders of technology :doh:

• Like 2

Update for everyone. Called Admiral. The agent was very helpful and together we sussed out that 370Z (base model) was not on their system. However the GT and Nismo were. Underwriters have refused insurance on the 370Z base model when this matter was referred to them yesterday.

If I had gone with the GT, I would be insured, and only paying 700 quid of insurance. So the only option for me now is to leave admiral and go with AXA for 967 quid. This is silly. Everyone thanks for all your help. Anybody who would like to shed more light on this issue please do so. 

Feeling a little ripped off about this whole situation.. 🥲

edit: at least I THINK it's the base model. It's a 2020. Deep blue pearl. It's got the akebono 4pot brakes at front and 2pot at rear. Has rev match feature. However it's got no sat nav, cloth seats, 18 inch dark grey/gunmetal wheels, door handles are grey. That's about all I know that convinces me it's a base model. I'm actually surprised the base model came with akebono brakes. I thought it would only come with your econobox brakes, no rev match and no VLSD.

980 miles. Priced at MSRP. 1 alloy has chip+rash. Front wind deflector below the bumper has scrapes. Front bumper has 2 50p sized fine scratches. Chip on door handle and door. Intending to 2 stage correct and PPF the whole car myself. Dunno if I bought a poor example & paid too much

Screenshot_2021-11-06-11-44-39-995_com.android.chrome~3.jpg

Edited by daniel_r35

UK base models get standard equipment unlike US. There are plethora of errors with admin regarding these cars such as 370Z being listed at 350Z etc. 

£1000 is ok considering i used to pay £1500 on a Civic. I can now pay £300 on a CRZ or £600 on a Z living in "London"

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 15:22, GranTurismoEra said:

UK base models get standard equipment unlike US. There are plethora of errors with admin regarding these cars such as 370Z being listed at 350Z etc. 

£1000 is ok considering i used to pay £1500 on a Civic. I can now pay £300 on a CRZ or £600 on a Z living in "London"

Good to know we get the good stuff. I didn't mind the base model's infotainment or lack thereof. I am planning to do the Brainiac mod anyway.

3 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

Did we come back to you in then end with a quotation?

Regards,

Dan.

Hi Dan. I think a representative told me nobody would want to insure me because this is my first high powered car and I would need to have at least 6 months experience with it. Didn't really expect that from AF after hearing good reviews about them. I get where they're coming from, but at the same time, everybody has to have their *first* high powered car. 

Anyway car is sitting pretty in the drive now. Just picked her up today. Next step is wash, clay, 2 stage paint correction and full PPF + Clearplex over the next couple of weeks. My back will be in agony but it'll be worth it!

12 hours ago, daniel_r35 said:

Hi Dan. I think a representative told me nobody would want to insure me because this is my first high powered car and I would need to have at least 6 months experience with it. Didn't really expect that from AF after hearing good reviews about them. I get where they're coming from, but at the same time, everybody has to have their *first* high powered car. 

The good old "need work experience before you can work" paradox. 

There's a few bespoke insurance brokers who might be better for you. I'm sure there's a list in the 350z side of the forum, it's a pain having to go over everything on the phone but the end price is usually worth it. Again, insurance is a dark art so not everyone's advice will be the same for you. 

I'd also give A plan a shout too. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

braniac seems like a good update. Lots of work but worth it. Doing it yourself?

Yep. But will need time and more money so that's gonna have to wait for a bit. 

22 hours ago, Umster said:

The good old "need work experience before you can work" paradox. 

There's a few bespoke insurance brokers who might be better for you. I'm sure there's a list in the 350z side of the forum, it's a pain having to go over everything on the phone but the end price is usually worth it. Again, insurance is a dark art so not everyone's advice will be the same for you. 

I'd also give A plan a shout too. 

I have tried A plan. They admitted they were a bit uncompetitive as far as my quote was concerned. Anyway it's all settled now. Will do the rounds with the insurance companies next year. This has been a stressful but productive experience.

Give yourself plenty of time next year. I've always found quotes to be cheaper 20-30 days out from the policy renewal. You can always get insurers to compete with one another too - grab a screenshot or copy of the best quotes, it will help you no end when trying to drive down prices.