Petrol

• Geoff P changed the title to Petrol

Whenever possible, go for the 98 or 99 Ron E5 unleaded.

Not just because of the ethanol, but from posts I've read from people such as Abbey Motorsport, the 350 ECU cannot retard the timing enough past 4800rpm when on 95 ron fuel which will result in engine knock, uneven high pressure shockwaves in the cylinders during combustion and possibly damage the pistons.

Had to fill up with 95 ron on Thursday as there was nothing else available.

I felt so sad as it filled up as it means keeping the revs down, but even driving below 4k revs is still bliss compared to driving the family Kia Sportage:lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matay20 said:

Put a full tank of, 99RON in mine on Wednesday and then registered it SORN on Thursday. 😩 bloody winter!

Well that'll degrade to 95Ron by the time spring arrives ;) ... on the plus side though 130p/litre will seem cheap in April '22 :lol:

23 hours ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56308-what-can-happen-if-you-run-your-zed-on-95-ron/

I know what I'd rather do. Why buy a £30k car then scrimp on petrol?

Yes they're not that much now, but you don't go buying a 2nd hand Ferrari and get parts from Euro Car Parts. Bit of an extreme example tbh.

Ive run my Z on both. More on 99 than 95. I dont drive hard most of the time anyway. My mate has run his M3 E92 on 95 for 6 years. The only time the car has had Super Unleaded is when Ive driven it and replenished Petrol and tell him off for using 95. The main issues are the standard Rod bearing, Throttle Actuator, Gearbox issues. 

Yes the cars been driven somewhat hard on 95 but he's usual bought Shell or BP which might make a difference from supermarket fuel...

Obviously thats a different car and maybe hes just lucky.

4 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Ive run my Z on both. More on 99 than 95. I dont drive hard most of the time anyway. My mate has run his M3 E92 on 95 for 6 years. The only time the car has had Super Unleaded is when Ive driven it and replenished Petrol and tell him off for using 95. The main issues are the standard Rod bearing, Throttle Actuator, Gearbox issues. 

Yes the cars been driven somewhat hard on 95 but he's usual bought Shell or BP which might make a difference from supermarket fuel...

Obviously thats a different car and maybe hes just lucky.

I would imagine it also has a knock sensor, which helps. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

He's maintained that engine for 20 years. That old motor has had 17 new bottom end rebuilds and 14 top end rebuilds in it's time...

No ones going to admit to everything tbh. Theyll only tell you what you need to know. Barely admitting common issues when asked. 

15 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

He's maintained that engine for 20 years. That old motor has had 17 new bottom end rebuilds and 14 top end rebuilds in it's time...

Did he get a medal from Peckham Council as well 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been around long enough on here to know from feedback that Zed engines prefer the 97+ plus octane for longevity particularly if using 5k+ rpm regularly.

IMHO, and like others have said ^^^, it is not worth the risk to use lower octanes other than in emergencies simply to save on fill-ups, and especially now most 350 engines will have a lot of mileage on them now.