When Your Pension Pot is Imminent (sort of) (Porsche Content, Mibees)

The G Man

I’m pretty sure there are a whole range of people on here that are in a much more beneficial position than myself, with regards a large pension pots and lump sums.

Im also sure that there are a number of Porsche current and former owners who know their sh1t!

So, over the past few years I’ve been tempted by all sorts of stuff.

With that in mind, in the not too distant future, as well as financing myself relatively comfortably with a relatively good income and some sound investments in my 42yr working life, when I retire, I’ve come to the conclusion that I want a very, very special car, before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

This will be a Porsche 911

There are a few ‘caveats’ with my Porsche needs, set out below:

1.  Nearly new with less than 3 or 4K miles on it (I’m open to advice on depreciation, if there is any?, solid facts on this please)

2.  Needs to be a 911

3.  Budget £80-90k (maybe more)

4.  NOT track focused, comfortable, high optioned (adjustable suspension, seats, things like programmable keys, adaptive cruise (?), heated and cooled (?) seats, fully electric everything in fact.  Proper GT.

5.  Nothing garish, no neon pee pee colours, no ‘decal’ type sh1t that tells others and me what I already know.

6.  NOT convertible, solid roof, none of this wibbly wobbly chassis pish.

7.  Capable of not embarrassing my 9 year old granddaughter, but capable of making my two 5yr old grandsons the proudest wee boys in school when they get dropped off.

8.  At a push can, I could increase budget

9.  I have no idea, other than I want one, what they are like to drive, enlighten me.

10.  Must compliment our imminent M340D Touring :teeth:

Edited by The G Man

My brother had the 911 Carrera RWD PDK naturally aspirated 3.8 from 2015. 

Great car. Around 350HP although acceleration was ambiguous because 400+ HP cars would struggle against it.

20 inch wheels at the front and 21 at the back. Servicing costs were double the 370 sometimes triple.

Oh yeah it cost around £80,000 at the time.

I think any 911 Turbo will be £120k plus maybe. Even the previous generation. So would a Carrera be the preferred choice.

Im no expert in that area so may have the trims and pricing wrong. 

Great cars, neckbreakers and great noise. 

There are the older Turbo S. 991 

My first instinct is to tell you to drive one first, before committing. They are amazing, but not everyone enjoys the weight distribution (I know, some folks are weird!) and it took me a year to get used to it properly. 

Outside of that, do you want 2WD or 4WD? My initial thoughts would be a 991.1 GTS, as you get the NA engine which is beautiful, plus as a GTS it’ll hold it’s value. The flip side would be the interior isn’t as modern as the current ones, which would certainly be in budget. At the mileage you’re looking at you can certainly  expect some depreciation, but it depends on how much mileage you’re intending to put on it. 

The 991.2 and 992 are both fabulous turbo cars, and are ridiculously quick. Spec will be dependant on previous owner obviously, but I’d consider the 18 way adjustable seats an absolute must have. The other comfort stuff is down to individual taste, but do get the sports exhaust. The PDCC makes the car feel very nimble along with the rear wheel steering, however you do lose the traditional 911 feeling. I couldn’t decide whether I’d buy with or without tbh, and still can’t. Probably without and enjoy that fabulous chassis a bit better, and do the driving myself. 

I’ve loads more info if you need, see if you can find some examples of cars on PH or wherever and post them up and I’ll see if I can give you any more hints. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

Stuff

What Dan doesn't know about 911s isn't worth knowing ... he's been a source of great advice when I was buying both mine ... I would add that 997s do it for me although 996s seem to be the "in" purchase atm . My view is that the 997 Turbo is the one to keep and, if you can find one, get one with less than 30,000 miles and watch the value rise. For me, post 2012, 911s have become a teeny bit bloated and the 997 represents the best of the relatively recent 911s.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

My first instinct is to tell you to drive one first, before committing. They are amazing, but not everyone enjoys the weight distribution (I know, some folks are weird!) and it took me a year to get used to it properly. 

Outside of that, do you want 2WD or 4WD? My initial thoughts would be a 991.1 GTS, as you get the NA engine which is beautiful, plus as a GTS it’ll hold it’s value. The flip side would be the interior isn’t as modern as the current ones, which would certainly be in budget. At the mileage you’re looking at you can certainly  expect some depreciation, but it depends on how much mileage you’re intending to put on it. 

The 991.2 and 992 are both fabulous turbo cars, and are ridiculously quick. Spec will be dependant on previous owner obviously, but I’d consider the 18 way adjustable seats an absolute must have. The other comfort stuff is down to individual taste, but do get the sports exhaust. The PDCC makes the car feel very nimble along with the rear wheel steering, however you do lose the traditional 911 feeling. I couldn’t decide whether I’d buy with or without tbh, and still can’t. Probably without and enjoy that fabulous chassis a bit better, and do the driving myself. 

I’ve loads more info if you need, see if you can find some examples of cars on PH or wherever and post them up and I’ll see if I can give you any more hints. 

Probably 4WD Dan,  and I would like a modern interior.  Would I have to raise my budget?  That’s not out the question, would also like it to be current, I’ll have a look at the numbers you suggest.

On the depreciation, I’m thinking on my side, as in what’s the drop off from new to nearly new, todays market is very unpredictable.

needs to be special, needs to be modern, would like it sub £100k.

I’ll take that on board Dan, re driving one, would ideally, on a near £100k car want an extended test drive, off to Braehead on Monday :thumbs:

6 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

I thought you posted a used GT3 at £225,000 wow....

Is it me or have prices jumped up for anything driven 😂

No, the Sports Classic is a bit special ... only 250 made worldwide ... that one may even make £300k

On 25/09/2021 at 19:45, Ekona said:

Yep, me. Appreciate the engineering but just dont get on with the way they drive, when youre looking at F355/650S money you might want to check youre OK with that ;)