New to 350z’s need some help with oil consumption please.

Tslates

-recently bought a 110 000 mile 2004 used 350z, 

-using something around 3 to 4 times the often quoted , oil guzzling but accepted for some of these cars,  1 litre of fresh oil per 1000 miles. 

- car really looks well looked after all round

-from what I can tell runs perfectly. Pulls nicely, no blue smoke or drips on drive. Approx 24mpg. I’m driving sensibly as I often have bike on roof. Of course the occasional foot to the floor when roads clear but no track days or much hard driving so far in my ownership.

-previous owner encouraged me to check oil every 200 miles which I have been doing so so it’s not running on empty and doing damage.

-Previous owner had added oil catch can but that isn’t filling up, added plenum spacer and as far as I know is otherwise stock.

- Previous owner states ‘if you want to look into oil consumption then Pcv valve is new and Cylinders are fine as leak down and compression test are spot on. ‘ Seems like a guy who has good knowledge of cars 

-Am not super knowledgeable with cars like many of the forum members but can use google so understand 1 L takes me from L to H on the crazy dipstick and I also understand I’m using more oil than many of the people that say they’re using a lot of oil!!

-one last thing, using Motul 5w30 as that is what previous owner used. 

Any suggestions of things to try in this situation please?

Or a good London based mechanic that should be able to offer some help?

I don’t mind spending a some money to get it fixed ,or accepting that I need to put in a litre regularly, I just don’t want to do any damage to a car that I love and could potentially run for thousands more miles. 

thanks guys. 

Welcome to the OC:wave:

You haven't actually stated how much you are losing.

For example, I have had my '05 DE from new, serviced every 3k miles, never ragged from cold, yet about 8-10 years ago started to see some oil consumption.

On a 500mile motorway trip, I'd see about 250ml being used.

This is with Castrol Edge 5w30.

I don't however have a catch can yet.

My garage has checked and said no leaks and emissions are fine.

So I just continue to check often and never let it drop below half way from min to max.

• 5 months later...
45 minutes ago, Deemanon said:

Bump - 

Same issue here, car smells really rich and oily when I boot it. Otherwise casual driving no smoke or issues, sounds good pulls well but still burns about 1l per 100 miles or so running 10-w40

You still need a new engine bud, preferably before it leaves you stranded somewhere. 

On 11/03/2022 at 11:25, Deemanon said:

Bump - 

Same issue here, car smells really rich and oily when I boot it. Otherwise casual driving no smoke or issues, sounds good pulls well but still burns about 1l per 100 miles or so running 10-w40

It'll be piston rings, and most likely valve stem seals too. 

So either, keep adding oil and change it regularly, rebuild it or sling another one in.