Exhaust polishing. How far do you go?

HEADPHONES

Just the tips (inside and out)?

Tips and back box?

THE WHOLE SYSTEM?

Finished my tub of Meguiars Metal Polysh and switched back to Autosol........much nicer me thinks.

What do you use?

Just done the tips and as much of the back box as I can reach on the Zed and our Mini.

I've never jacked up the cars to do any more.

IMG_20210918_172553.jpg

IMG_20210918_172504.jpg

Edited by HEADPHONES
  • Like 5

I've always used Autosol and I always do the exhaust tips, however I have started to polish the back boxes on my 370Z recently though. I've always had a bit of an exhaust tip fetish to be fair! :lol:

20210505_203156.jpg.fe41aaf70be4ea22576782fe52a83154.jpg

Edited by Lee370Z
Add a pic.
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I think once you've polished up the backbox it'll stay shiny as long as you give it a wipe down during every wash, that's what I do and the ones on my 3 year invidia gemini still look new. 

The tip is never going to stay clean for long, especially if you're running HFCs or decats.

I normally coat mine with FK1000P, not sure if it keeps them clean for any longer but it does make the grime dead quick and easy to remove. 

15 hours ago, daniel94 said:

I was thinking of doing the tip and the can on my single exit, but doesn’t it just go brown after couple of days? Anyone know of any sealant or something like this to keep the exhaust shiny for longer?

The inside will get coked up quite quickly, a number of exhausts actually rely on that for anything from sound to mild performance differences. The outside will get as dirty as any other part under the car - nothing's going to keep it clean for very long, especially in winter.

Your best bet is to seal it with a wheel sealant and keep on top of it during washes but - basically treat it as you would polished wheels.

On 18/09/2021 at 18:00, davey_83 said:

Bought used and brought it back to great condition. I can only quick detailer mine as worried il ruin the burnt tips. Rest of the stainless I can reach I use mothers metal polish.

fotor_1631994466242.jpg.1263479727859de6152dd2a936ed7ac4.jpg

1507049445_img_20200715_180746215_hdr3.jpg.c0b45d4747b86e99aac9b0e91fcb5483.jpg

that’s a smashing result. Are the tips titanium? Can I ask your process for them ??

• Like 1

Did pipes and rear silencers the other day actually. Would like to do the rest of the system some time. Used some foam cones and White Diamond metal polish. Very pleased with the results. Posted in my build thread.

I wouldnt mind doing the inside of the tailpipe, but not sure the best way to go about it. Its pretty caked on in there

Edited by ballistic

16 hours ago, ballistic said:

I wouldnt mind doing the inside of the tailpipe, but not sure the best way to go about it. Its pretty caked on in there

A lot of time, patience and elbow grease, highest cut polish you can find and fine wire wool (or if it's really caked on, wetsanding is the way to go), before even thinking of foam.

Once it's done, it's more a case of keeping on top of it after that. The issue is that it'll need cleaning after literally every drive (or polishing every couple of trips). Personally I wouldn't bother with the inside, especially if it's pretty caked on, but if you've got the time and the inclination then dedicate a few weekends to it becuase it could take days of work to get through first time if the exhaust has been used for a couple of years or more.

• Like 1

But don't neglect the rest. I prefer to cup it from the tip and work it gently to the end. Start off with slow strokes then start increasing the length you rub it all the way down the shaft.

For that extra touch, reach around the back and give it a good going over. You wanna get rid of those built up deposits.

Edited by The Bounty Bar Kid
  • Like 1

On 18/12/2021 at 20:47, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

But don't neglect the rest. I prefer to cup it from the tip and work it gently to the end. Start off with slow strokes then start increasing the length you rub it all the way down the shaft.

For that extra touch, reach around the back and give it a good going over. You wanna get rid of those built up deposits.

This just sounds sooo wrong 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1