Stolen 350z

Bencs

1 hour ago, The Bounty Bar Kid said:

Tesco might not have CCTV but long shot, ask McDonald's or Halfords round the corner. Doubt they'll help tbh. My car was hit a few years back round the corner at the Sutton Life Centre car park and they refused to hand over CCTV. I think it was a staff member who did it.

Ah sorry to hear that - yeah sounds likely but also these companies aren't just going to hand over their cctv to normal people. They don't even have to provide it to the police.. if it doesn't affect them, they don't really care lol.

I will give those guys a check - might also see if that storage place has any cameras pointing to the A217.

Thanks man!

23 hours ago, Bencs said:

I did ask that tesco if they had CCTV and they very sheepishly mentioned they have no external facing cctv lol.

OK latest update :)

Spoke to insurance company and they have cancelled the policy and are not refunding the remaining three months as we have raised a fault claim.

They are picking it up from the current location to take it to an approved repairer for assessment.

I'm curious to see what the repair quote is - I'll share it on here when I get it.

Also going to make a formal complaint to the MET for the lack of care regarding the case. Given that they didn't even want to take it for forensic analysis, basically just says to me that anybody can go and nick a car and joy ride it for a few days then dump it with no repercussions...

Also was mentioned by the officer that they had the stolen car record as a BMW?!?!?!?!?! Even though they had the correct number plate! Jesus.... these officers were useless..

Ofcourse, This is England! Usually they need police intervention, i had an incident at Tesco a few years ago. Where some kids left a barrier on the corner and smashed into with the nismo. I stood on top of security and management to go through the CCTV. I was persistent. Unfortunately CCTV was not pointing at the relevant area. An area where Pedestrians walk across and isnt well lit. 

Even if you get the cctv doubt police will do much tbh. Still hand it to them. Let the assessors assess it and hopefully theyll pay out when they realise the cost of repair.

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I have an update for anybody still interested :D.

The car was assessed by a local garage and the insurance company declared it a total loss. The next step was for an independent valuation company to come in and value the car and then for nissan to read the ECU for any signs of how it was stolen.

However! I received a call from the garage the following day asking if I had collected the car as it was no longer on their site...

I hadn't obviously so phoned the valuation agent to ask if he collected it, he said no, we just assess it where it is, we don't collect it.

So I phone the insurance company and asked what was going on, they couldn't figure it out either.

Fast forward to today and the insurance company have told me they have reported it to the police as stolen again!

It is fairly clear that somebody wants the car pretty badly! Lol.

You couldn't make this up! What a joke!

So hopefully now will just be able to proceed with the claim now and get the money...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bencs said:

Ok I have an update for anybody still interested :D.

The car was assessed by a local garage and the insurance company declared it a total loss. The next step was for an independent valuation company to come in and value the car and then for nissan to read the ECU for any signs of how it was stolen.

However! I received a call from the garage the following day asking if I had collected the car as it was no longer on their site...

I hadn't obviously so phoned the valuation agent to ask if he collected it, he said no, we just assess it where it is, we don't collect it.

So I phone the insurance company and asked what was going on, they couldn't figure it out either.

Fast forward to today and the insurance company have told me they have reported it to the police as stolen again!

It is fairly clear that somebody wants the car pretty badly! Lol.

You couldn't make this up! What a joke!

So hopefully now will just be able to proceed with the claim now and get the money...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i feel this is about to get extremely messy for you. Technically speaking from my understanding, the garage the vehicle was recovered to are now also liable for the car. 

As it was stolen from their premises and I'd assume private property, there will be serious questions asked by the insurance company. All sounds extremely fishy 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Olly350z said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i feel this is about to get extremely messy for you. Technically speaking from my understanding, the garage the vehicle was recovered to are now also liable for the car. 

As it was stolen from their premises and I'd assume private property, there will be serious questions asked by the insurance company. All sounds extremely fishy 

So I have already spoken to insurance company and said that this is a you problem not a me problem.

I already warned them that the garage they assigned it to was literally a road away from where it was found dumped.

The garage has CCTV of it happening but apparently not clear enough to get a registration plate... how inconvenient.

The garage also had it parked on the road outside instead of in a secure lockup which it should have been given it was a high risk theft case.

Ultimately, I would assume the insurance company will payout to me and then claim against the garage as it was in their possession when it got stolen.

Interesting question. Technically the garage is 100% responsible and will need to claim via their liability insurance, however I suspect that’s void as they did not have it inside their compound which I bet is a term of their insurance, so you’d be stuck in a fight between the insurers and the garage. Their insurers have no liability to you, so if they refuse a payout then you have to chase the garage via court with all the risks that takes. 

Your own insurer would be well within their rights to play hardball, but it’s complicated by the fact they chose where to send the car so have a duty to you. It’s a shame really, as that would be a nice way to avoid a claim and your excess, but hey ho. 

I disagree as it was the insurance provider that decided to take the vehicle to that particular garage and not the customer. After the point at which the vehicle was initially stolen and reported, the entire matter claim wise as far as the customer is concerned is down to the insurance to resolve hence the word 'insurance'.

• Like 1

To me it just sounds like a bad case of Eastenders. If I phone the insurance for the 20th time. All I need to know is "when is the money going to arrive in my bank account?".

Subplots, Storylines, main characters and extras are not my concern.

If I get another Z. Its dislok steering lock, ring door bell and a loud siren outside. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I disagree as it was the insurance provider that decided to take the vehicle to that particular garage and not the customer. After the point at which the vehicle was initially stolen and reported, the entire matter claim wise as far as the customer is concerned is down to the insurance to resolve hence the word 'insurance'.

There’s what is right in fact, and there’s what is right in law. The trouble is the car at the time belonged to the OP, not the insurer. No agreement had been made as far as finalising the claim was concerned, hence why this is not as straight forward as you may think. 

Edited by Ekona

I always take the view that I don't have a problem until I have a problem and that would only materialise once the insurance company/companies do not accept liability.

However there is nothing wrong with being proactive.

Until then this is all hypothetical.

Hopefully your own insurance company will do the decent thing and accept liability and make you an offer that you can't refuse.

Good luck.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Ekona said:

There’s what is right in fact, and there’s what is right in law. The trouble is the car at the time belonged to the OP, not the insurer. No agreement had been made as far as finalising the claim was concerned, hence why this is not as straight forward as you may think. 

If the insurance company picked up the car and took it to a garage of their choice, surely liability rests with them?

If the owner had refused this, and collected the car and moved it to a garage of their choice, then the it is between the owner and the garage they engage.

Surely as soon as the insurance collected the car, they took responsibility for it, regardless of who owns it?

I just found this in relation to if you take your car to a garage, so, as above, surely iif the insurer has take the car, the contract exists between insurer and garage not owner?

Your car is protected under the law of bailment while it is at the garage, which means that the garage is responsible for taking reasonable care of the vehicle while it is in their possession. Under the law of bailment, you may be able to claim compensation from the garage if your car is damaged, stolen or lost while in their care.

Edited by Sim
additional info

Like I said, it’s not as clear cut as it initially sounds. Plenty of wrangling between all three parties I feel, and this is where you find out just how decent your insurer actually is. Who is it, btw?

You're kinda right in saying that liability rests with the insurer as far as the policyholder is concerned, but as far as the insurer is concerned the liability is with the garage and they may feel that they should not shoulder the burden of a stolen car when it wasn’t in their care and clearly parked in a non-secure location. At that point they may want their money before paying out to the OP. 

Edited by Ekona

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

Like I said, it’s not as clear cut as it initially sounds. Plenty of wrangling between all three parties I feel, and this is where you find out just how decent your insurer actually is. Who is it, btw?

You're kinda right in saying that liability rests with the insurer as far as the policyholder is concerned, but as far as the insurer is concerned the liability is with the garage and they may feel that they should not shoulder the burden of a stolen car when it wasn’t in their care and clearly parked in a non-secure location. At that point they may want their money before paying out to the OP. 

Yes it was, as the garage had assessed it.

Do you read anything anyone says, or just skip a few lines and chuck out some random nonsense? At risk of blowing my own trumpet, I think you’ll find my logic and reasoning to be quite infallible on this. I can state with absolute certainty that you are incorrect, my dear fellow. 

• Like 1

What am I wrong about?

I do have a weird feeling when reading incorrect statements, the need to correct understanding of the facts seems a duty. It's my problem, but if the garage did assess the vehicle then they had the keys, therefore it's classed as in their care. 

10 hours ago, Ekona said:

Do you read anything anyone says, or just skip a few lines and chuck out some random nonsense? At risk of blowing my own trumpet, I think you’ll find my logic and reasoning to be quite infallible on this. I can state with absolute certainty that you are incorrect, my dear fellow. 

Totally agree.