Stolen 350z

Bencs

Update!!

Car had been found by a family member - it was dumped in a tesco car park with the bonnet up so I can only assume something went wrong with it.

Police will likely collect it for investigation before releasing to us.

Interesting to see what kind of condition it is in...

• Like 7

Further update - Police showed up and basically said "meh you can take it home".

They are not doing any kind of investigation or forensic work to even try and find out what has happened.

They put a tow hook at the front of it so that is clearly how it was nicked.

Question to you guys as I am not super Mechanically minded - They have towed a rwd car - what does that mean Mechanically? I know you shouldn't tow a car with the drive wheels on the ground, but I don't actually know what happens if you do. Can anybody enlighten me?

Thanks for all the support guys :)

Do you still get a payout if the car has engine damage etc....

Forensic work requires resources. With a bit of effort the people are probably known to police. 

Depending on what the issue is probably worth still trying to claim as its now recorded stolen.

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

OK further clarification- sorry I'm not there I'm at work.

The Mrs has said the tow bar was in the footwell not actually in the car. (Bit of confusion, when she says the tow bar is in the front I am assuming actually put in lol). So may have been used, may not.

So it is not responding to my key anymore, seems likely the have messed around with the immobiliser / central locking trying to get it to work.

It can't have been straight up left in teaco car park from the beginning because I actually checked that car park.

So in conclusion, still not clear what happened!

In terms of insurance, I have no idea how this plays out. They probably won't want to pay out for it, so I am going to get a friend to look over its and see if there is anything drastically wrong, and if so, how much it would cost to repair.

They probably tried to use worn down key and tried to code it knocking out your key. Does your key however start the engine after operating the door barrel? 

At the moment it's still an insurance matter until confirmed no damage has been done to the vehicle. Worst case if for whatever there is engine damage, damage to interior, bodywork, door locks, ignition. To fix those and a engine rebuild would costs X amount, the insurance company has the choice to either fully repair or pay out what the vehicle was worth pre incident. Normally if repairs are 50% the value of the car they'll cat it and pay you out. You then have option to buy back for salvage value I think 10% and can then of course get it repaired yourself elsewhere. 

Get it thoroughly checked out.

• Like 1

No the immobiliser is stuck, it isn't recognising the key and won't even turn over.

Got an email from the insurance company - they have straight up cancelled my policy without even speaking to me about the theft ( you do an online claim and they are supposed to call and go through details), so I'm sure it will be an interesting call tomorrow :).

yeah there is some cosmetic damage on the bonnet, door and rear bumper plus whatever issue with the immobiliser. Then anything mechanical which would need to be investigated so quite likely a write off tbh. I think respraying of those three components plus resolving the immobiliser alone will tip it over their threshold for repairing it.

will have to check if they still do the buyback, not all insurance companies allow that anymore, but would be a nice way to net some cash for sure :)

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear this mate!

Sounds like one or few 'a'ssh0L3 decided to play with a 350z just because they can (https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/19343805.gang-live-stream-stealing-car-social-media/) or has been used a a get away vehicle. I'm guessing they put rear wheels on a dolly and pulled it up a flat bed. Ask for CCTV footage in Tesco, they might captured your zed doing donuts in there before it got dumped there when petrol runs out.

My colleague's zed was stolen few years ago from a house burglary when he's at work. Police found the car few days later dumped on a street, zed was reported as get away car for a robbery. Zed was scratched and damaged.

Fingers crossed that you'll sort out an agreement with insurance.

• Like 1

I did ask that tesco if they had CCTV and they very sheepishly mentioned they have no external facing cctv lol.

OK latest update :)

Spoke to insurance company and they have cancelled the policy and are not refunding the remaining three months as we have raised a fault claim.

They are picking it up from the current location to take it to an approved repairer for assessment.

I'm curious to see what the repair quote is - I'll share it on here when I get it.

Also going to make a formal complaint to the MET for the lack of care regarding the case. Given that they didn't even want to take it for forensic analysis, basically just says to me that anybody can go and nick a car and joy ride it for a few days then dump it with no repercussions...

Also was mentioned by the officer that they had the stolen car record as a BMW?!?!?!?!?! Even though they had the correct number plate! Jesus.... these officers were useless..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, stevezzz said:

w+++kers were they trying to see if anyone's rights were being abused before they looked at your pride and joy? 

They probably had to get back to the park to bully some teens or something :)

8 minutes ago, marzman said:

Sorry to read all this.  Must be quite stressful.

What do you mean by your insurance has been cancelled... why would they do that?

Standard practice, as he’s now made a claim against that policy it’s no longer an active policy. It’s to cover themselves as if he were then to use said policy to then borrow a car and drive third party using his own insurance and then have another accident they’d then potentially have multiple claims against one policy which doesn’t really work. It’s also to stop him now using the car in question too until it’s been assessed and either paid out or rejected as a claim. 

Edited by Shunter8
  • Like 1

Just now, Shunter8 said:

Standard practice, as he’s now made a claim against that policy it’s no longer an active policy. It’s to cover themselves as if he were then to use said policy to then borrow a car and drive third party using his own insurance and then have another accident they’d then potentially have multiple claims against one policy which doesn’t really work. It’s also to stop him now using the car I question too until it’s been assessed and either paid out or rejected as a claim. 

Got you, cheers. 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, marzman said:

Sorry to read all this.  Must be quite stressful.

What do you mean by your insurance has been cancelled... why would they do that?

Cos that’s what always happens when you claim a total loss, there’s nothing left to insure so the policy is cancelled with no refund or you have to pay up the remaining instalments. Standard stuff. 

• Like 1

Yep you guys nailed it - if you make at "at fault claim" whereby the car is declared a write off, the insurance company will not refund your policy.

However if you make a "not at fault claim" resulting in a write off, the insurance company will refund your remaining policy.

All subject to various admin fees etc etc.

8 minutes ago, Willsy1980 said:

So sorry this has happened to you, utter rats. Sounds like the police are not much better either....

What gets me now, is how your insurance are classing this as an At Fault claim ? Surely theft would be a non fault claim, you didn't hand them the damn keys.

I think it’s more the wording that’s the confusion. A “non fault claim” would be someone else’s insurance is paying for your cars repair or replacement, so although your insurance would be doing some legwork, the 3rd party is the one footing the bill. An “at fault claim” means you’re choosing to claim on your own policy for a payout from your insurance company and as such they’re footing the bill. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bencs said:

I did ask that tesco if they had CCTV and they very sheepishly mentioned they have no external facing cctv lol.

OK latest update :)

Spoke to insurance company and they have cancelled the policy and are not refunding the remaining three months as we have raised a fault claim.

They are picking it up from the current location to take it to an approved repairer for assessment.

I'm curious to see what the repair quote is - I'll share it on here when I get it.

Also going to make a formal complaint to the MET for the lack of care regarding the case. Given that they didn't even want to take it for forensic analysis, basically just says to me that anybody can go and nick a car and joy ride it for a few days then dump it with no repercussions...

Also was mentioned by the officer that they had the stolen car record as a BMW?!?!?!?!?! Even though they had the correct number plate! Jesus.... these officers were useless..

Tesco might not have CCTV but long shot, ask McDonald's or Halfords round the corner. Doubt they'll help tbh. My car was hit a few years back round the corner at the Sutton Life Centre car park and they refused to hand over CCTV. I think it was a staff member who did it.

• Like 1