350z running rough, sounds like a V8

nozb2k

Hey guys,

Over the past 80 miles or so, I've had 3 instances of the car sounding really rough like a V8 noise. Usually it has gone away after a blip of the throttle. Tonight I drove a couple of miles, parked for an hour and came back to the car. Started it and it was running rough again, drove it home and it ran very rough the whole way. At one point the CEL was flashing but went away. I put some fresh petrol in and finished my journey home. Looked under the car to see if there was anything obviously wrong with the exhaust. Noticed the driver side cat was glowing red hot under the remains of the heatshield.

Planning to check the spark plugs and coil packs tomorrow, but wondering if anybody else has had this before.

https://streamable.com/e3avx4

https://streamable.com/exj8wh

Definitely sounds like a misfire, in which case the cat is probably getting red hot because the unburnt fuel is getting into it. 

As you've said, my first point of call would be to check the coils/plugs. 

If the CEL comes back then get a code reader on it. 

• Like 1

Mine started running rough a few months ago, was a misfire.

Codes may even be able to tell you what cylinder is misfiring.

When I pulled the codes, I got "multiple misfire" and "misfire cylinder x" (can't remember what the number was) changed the coil pack, all fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

Took a stab at it being the valve cover spark plug seals and I was right. Pulled the coils on the passenger side, 1st was dry, 2nd had a very light oil residue and the 3rd made an audible pop when I removed it. Coil was absolutely soaked in oil and the spark plug well had a large amount of oil.

Fitted a new cover and gasket and just need to do the coils and plugs.

• 2 months later...

So I've done all the work last month, changed both valve covers, gaskets and all 6 NGK spark plugs. When I first start the car it's can sometimes run rough and will sound like a misfire, but it clears up if I rev the car hard enough. After that the car is running fine and will continue to run fine until I turn the car off again and start it a while later.

I've checked everything over and it looks ok, everything is all tightened up and connected. I'm thinking of checking all the coil packs. But also thinking could one of the cats have been damaged when it was running hot.

Had a similar problem earlier this year.. see my post 

thankfully your problem seems to be sorted but mine turned out to be just over £3K problem to resolve (Buggar) anyway it was. worth it as I couldn't have bought another car for the price of repairs. It might be of interest..

Edited by Dicky