About to buy a 350, 53 plate GT spec, first time owner, what should I ask when buying?

Fieldyhf

First time buyer and I’ve been looking for a long time until I have found something in good looking condition/not 300 miles away from me! It has 104k miles, I rang the seller and he said he has recently replaced the clutch, exhaust (to stainless steel) and gear stick knob. He was very honest about some of the issues with the car, one being the windows dont go up and down properly which I have read about and know it’s a common issue, I figured this might be a simple fix though? I have attached an image of the car and it’s condition, anyone with more experience know of anything I should ask about when I go to buy?

04227AFF-BACC-4E96-ACE8-B54E8D2A0D42.jpeg

74272597-0186-4F99-84C0-EB38C8F74055.png

2841333B-49A8-41E0-82DD-E37ABFB2186B.png

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be asking what brand/type exhaust he had fitted, same for the clutch, and whether the flywheel was done at the same time.

What other issues has he mentioned? 

You're right the window issue is fairly common and is usually fixed by simply replacing the motor, which isn't a particularly expensive or difficult job. 

I'd also ask what other modifications the car has, from them photos I can see it's got tinted rear windows and headlights from a facelift car. 

Other than that the main thing to look out for is rust because they're getting old now. If you do a viewing try and have a good look around the arches and underneath if you can. 

Have you got a link to the ad? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be asking what brand/type exhaust he had fitted, same for the clutch, and whether the flywheel was done at the same time.

What other issues has he mentioned? 

You're right the window issue is fairly common and is usually fixed by simply replacing the motor, which isn't a particularly expensive or difficult job. 

I'd also ask what other modifications the car has, from them photos I can see it's got tinted rear windows and headlights from a facelift car. 

Other than that the main thing to look out for is rust because they're getting old now. If you do a viewing try and have a good look around the arches and underneath if you can. 

Have you got a link to the ad? 

Hey!

I have a link here if you want to take a look, he is actually very informative about the car in the description

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108316810310

I’m not too clued up on mods etc, however I feel like this is a great place to start as I really want to get into it!

• Like 1

From the sounds of the ad, its been quite well looked after. Good tyres on it, CSC done and braided lines so not been maintained on pennies over pounds and seems a genuine example for its age. He mentions the rear arches are starting to go again so they may need cutting out and new welding in so factor that into your budget.

Other than the usual used car buying advice, its one that is probably worth viewing. Read through the buyers guide one here, go over the car thoroughly and don't be afraid to walk away. 5-7k Z's always pop up for sale :thumbs:

3 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

From the sounds of the ad, its been quite well looked after. Good tyres on it, CSC done and braided lines so not been maintained on pennies over pounds and seems a genuine example for its age. He mentions the rear arches are starting to go again so they may need cutting out and new welding in so factor that into your budget.

Other than the usual used car buying advice, its one that is probably worth viewing. Read through the buyers guide one here, go over the car thoroughly and don't be afraid to walk away. 5-7k Z's always pop up for sale :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply! How much do you reckon sorting the rear arches would set me back? Yeah I’m in no rush, just want to get the right one!

Looks like a well cared for and reasonably priced example to me.

As Willsy has said, sorting out the rust won't be cheap but sadly I think it's getting harder and harder to find a perfectly rust-free example these days and even then you'll pay a massive premium for one that's been stored inside and only ever seen summer months. 

• Like 1

Thanks both, I’ll have a proper look on Sunday, are there any other main areas of the car that I should check for corrosion? Yeah jack, that makes sense, I’m looking for the middle ground really, not too @*!# but not too expensive for the insurance lol

Main areas were where the quarter panel meets the sill infront of the rear wheels, over the arches filler cap area. Anywhere dirt and or water can pool really. 

Usually find seaside cars are the ones to avoid, salt kills everything :lol:

As for insurance, you will find the purchase price has little to no influence of annual cost, a 2k Z will cost the same as a 9k Z its the up keep that will differ massively.

Other things to look for are Oil level, regular services etc etc but I don't think they will be an issue on that one, seems to have had a loving home. 

Happy hunting :) 

Check the front arches too, the wings are prone to rust, but that's much easier to sort because you can simply bolt a new panel on. 

It looks like a lot of cars weak points (cooling fan motors, clutch slave cylinder, W brace, kidney brackets, boot struts) have already been addressed so that's good. Also the MPSS tyres are a nice bonus and the facelift headlights are an expensive upgrade. 

The original DE engine is the most bulletproof of the 3 variants really (it doesn't suffer from high oil consumption like some Rev-up's do or oil gallery gasket failure that all HR's eventually do).

• Like 1