Once the VX220 is gone...

coldel

The VX220 getting in and out is a talent all in itself! Basically point backside at the seat and let gravity sort the rest out 🤣

Yes the 2.7s are much lower priced and seem in better condition - I havent done the reading but are they less susceptible to the Porsche engine issues?

Yup, because there’s more material in the head so far less likely to suffer from bore scoring and d chunk problems. 

Must admit I’d go for the base car these days too, enough poke to be fun but you can wring it’s neck and not end up in silly speeds too quickly. 

The Cayman my budget allowed was a 2018 'base' model but dealer specced with most of the options on offer - critically including the Sport Chrono and Sports exhaust which transformed the enjoyment in Sports mode from 'good neighbour' mode ;):lol: 

Wise words from Col. I spent ages chasing a 981S with the right colour and options and then gave up and went for a GTS as the ones I wanted were all standard (PSE, Sport Chrono) - I did originally want PASM too, but I got lucky and got the Sport Chassis (X73) 

PASM I never found that useful on the 9x7 cars, as the harder setting never seemed properly settled on the local roads around me and the wider UK in general. The gen2 stuff was much better than the gen1, but invariably I usually left that in normal mode when on a hoon. 

On 03/01/2022 at 18:02, coldel said:

I did read up on Z4M and they say you are better off with a 3.0 coupe which handles better and overall better package bizarrely 

I didn't gel with my Z4M Roadster, and I didn't like the gearbox/ride/suspension. The suspension has zero give in it, so if you hit a bump in the road it can be very unnerving. It was a wild ride though! Going from first to second quickly was an absolute pig in it too, and I wasn't a fan of the gearbox much at all. 

In comparison I much prefer the 370Z Roadster that I have now for sure. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

PASM I never found that useful on the 9x7 cars, as the harder setting never seemed properly settled on the local roads around me and the wider UK in general. The gen2 stuff was much better than the gen1, but invariably I usually left that in normal mode when on a hoon. 

Having lived without it now, I wouldn’t consider it a must have at all.

On 04/01/2022 at 16:20, Ekona said:

You're right of course, but life's a lot better with the DSC Sport controller in charge.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tomato said:

You know, I have never driven a lotus, although tempted by the exige, maybe an option? 

The Exige is a weapon. I had two VX220s, one NA and one Turbo both had their own strengths. As Dan said I am so glad I have driven one of these cars as they really are a massive step change as a driving experience vs anything else I have driven. I am a pretty slow driver, I probably only ever rung about 50% out the car but even that first 50% was epic.

That said, when you do a 5 day trip to Scotland in one, and one minute you are wrestling with damp B roads the next day you are stuck on a motorway in 30 degrees of heat with no cooling in the cabin, its a pretty hardcore life 😂

Edited by coldel

Would love a Noble, problem is cost to keep them on the road, looked at one a few years back when they where cheaper than they are now, ruffled through the receipts and decided needed to mortgage the house to service and fix it, but yes they are amazing cars, the M12 will he in my fantasy after my lottery win 😁

9 hours ago, coldel said:

I am a pretty slow driver, I probably only ever rung about 50% out the car but even that first 50% was epic.

Reality is any decent high performance car you can only really rung out 50 to 70% on the road, really need them on a track to exploit them truly.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tomato said:

Reality is any decent high performance car you can only really rung out 50 to 70% on the road, really need them on a track to exploit them truly.

Oh I took it on track, still didnt get anywhere near 100% it was too damn terrifying!

• Like 1