Possible dying battery / alternator

madcat

Hi folks. I've bought a 2012 370z with 64k a few months back, and only gets a run up and down the lane, every few weeks to keep the brakes from getting too rusty, but last few times, I've had to charge the battery for couple hours. Now I'm sure the voltmeter gauge read about 14v on the 35 mile drive home, when 1st bought, but when I started last night, and tonight, on first startup I'm seeing just over 14v, but after about 30-40 seconds, it suddenly drops down to 13v, and stays at this as car warms up for next 15 minutes. Car running perfectly otherwise, and no squealing from the alternator belt, to suggest the alternator is working flat out, Soooo.....

1. Is this normal running voltage, as any car I've previously had ran about 14v, when running? [No battery / charging line coming on, when running, and goes off as normal, when car starts]

2. Would a dying battery drop voltage from 14v to 13v, when running?

3. When car battery has enough power to unlock c/l, drop the window,and light up the dash, but starter sticks due to not enough juice in battery, but less than a hour. has the battery on over 75%l charge,car starts within couple turns of starter, I'm thinking a dude battery would need alot more charging than that?

4. Any other things I could check, to confirm if alternator is still ok, as would be surprised if it's bad with the low mileage?

5. Would a sticking / going faulty steering lock mechanism cause any of these symptoms?

Sorry for the long winded post, but hoping I can sort out the fault, before I get the car mot'd / legal for the road. Tia for any advice.

Edited by madcat

Thanks. Will stick the battery on a longer charge,and google the whole fuse removal thing on my next day off, as any time I go to the car, the steering lock seems to have activated, when I have locked the car from the previous time I was in it. Def way prefer an old fashioned key hmmmm