A case of crazy dials - help

ballistic

The dials on my main cluster are all reading at extremes. Sometimes after turning the ignition on and off multiple times they start to read correctly.

O4rvQI0.jpg

Believe it or not. Im not out of fuel while at 9000rpm doing 250mph with 200 C temps. Im actually sat on my driveway. (Also i haven't done 600,000 miles)

Tried replacing the air con control unit:

image.png.ebb0ee0bdc3c76dcddaaced2c4f44694.png

Didnt help.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

Have you checked the fuse ? Think there is one in the foot well that does all the cluster. Not marked up as instruments though.

Agreed - i had this once when i'd popped a footwell fuse - but given this is intermittent i'd say the fuse is unlikely, and more likely a dodgy earth on that circuit, which could be a bit of a nightmare to find.

• Like 1

As mentioned its intermittent, so i doubted its down to a fuse. But i checked em anyway. No luck

34 minutes ago, marzman said:

Agreed - i had this once when i'd popped a footwell fuse - but given this is intermittent i'd say the fuse is unlikely, and more likely a dodgy earth on that circuit, which could be a bit of a nightmare to find.

Do you remember which fuse it was?

It could be that the second air con controller is also faulty. unlikely though.

If its an earth, im not sure where to start 

From a bit of searching, think its fuse 6 maybe

Listed as battery 10amp electrical parts.

As you said though, 2 units in the aircon that can cause this too. For the bad earth/electrical issue start with the obvious, test the battery and the connections are good.

7 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

From a bit of searching, think its fuse 6 maybe

Listed as battery 10amp electrical parts.

As you said though, 2 units in the aircon that can cause this too. For the bad earth/electrical issue start with the obvious, test the battery and the connections are good.

Thanks for finding out i appreciate the help, ive checked all fuses. No problems there.

what other air con unit can be a problem?

17 minutes ago, ballistic said:

Thanks for finding out i appreciate the help, ive checked all fuses. No problems there.

what other air con unit can be a problem?

Sorry should have clarified, its the same unit just one of them, unified meter/AC Amp. Pretty much everything online is pointing at that being the issue or the wiring associated with it.

Some have had issues after installing aftermarket audio etc but they were cutting into it for 12v ?

Other than that unit and fuses is it possible the cluster is faulty ? Could turn in to one of those you just keep throwing money at parts to try and diagnose :/  

• Like 1

I feel your pain Ballistic.

This has been happening with our 2006 Mini for over 2 years:surrender:

Mine is related to moisture as it's more frequent after rain on initial start up.

Normally goes away after a few minutes driving, but when my dash looks like this the AC stops working and the Speedo stays at zero with all the warning lights lit up like a Christmas Tree.

My garage can't find the problem and the Mini forums say it could be a loose solder in the dash SOMEWHERE:wacko:

IMG_20190915_105748.jpg