Importing to UK - Nissan Z

dean_asla

On 06/09/2021 at 17:03, formatzero said:

I heard today that the new Zed is indeed coming to Europe at the insistance from someone high up in  Renault !!

I threatened to buy a GR86 instead in numerous Youtube videos. I also pressured a top sales guy that my business is going across the road to Toyota for the 86. 

Im joking....either way ive registered for the 86. My brothers Supra is swaying me.

I was looking at Supra prices and realistically youre waiting 3 years to get the Z to the UK for under £30k excluding duties. 

Ill do some digging... importing is a f***ing headache according to few people ive spoken to. Im ready to buy if thats the case mate.

If it ends up coming here, Prices will be matched and marked up to offset cost of importation by the manufacturer as well as conversion for emissions so either way it wont be cheap. Be ready to pay at the very least £40k.

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

On 08/09/2021 at 03:47, GranTurismoEra said:

I threatened to buy a GR86 instead in numerous Youtube videos. I also pressured a top sales guy that my business is going across the road to Toyota for the 86. 

Im joking....either way ive registered for the 86. My brothers Supra is swaying me.

I was looking at Supra prices and realistically youre waiting 3 years to get the Z to the UK for under £30k excluding duties. 

Ill do some digging... importing is a f***ing headache according to few people ive spoken to. Im ready to buy if thats the case mate.

If it ends up coming here, Prices will be matched and marked up to offset cost of importation by the manufacturer as well as conversion for emissions so either way it wont be cheap. Be ready to pay at the very least £40k.

Yes been saying that for a while. Need a low miler or brand new to get an easy resale esp at the £40k mark. Also leaning more to the Manual now for that reason too although the Benz 9 speed auto is meant to be v good. Not sure if its enough of a head turner to justify the cost esp compared to the 370z Nismo. Quad exhaust and a V8 soundtrack would have helped

Question is what will you be able to get for similar money in mid 2023. 

If people are thinking of the new M3/M4 i think they will be around £50,000 even then. The older M4 and M2 Competition will be around £30-£35k used. Competition will be stiff. In terms of new cars most similar cars are around the £50,000+ mark. From F Type, Supra to Cayman.

If Nissan are offering Performance pack at £45,000 it still undercuts all those cars including the TTRS and is in line with Supra 2.0.

Being a rebodied 370Z a price cap of £40,000 initially should be okay but it still wont sell huge numbers. As in 2000+ year 1 in Europe 

Thats the issue for Renault Nissan group. Put it at 30k and adjust finance options and theres a whole new crowd interested. That for an ex demo or used car sure. It wont be the performance pack though

Also Nissan Comms confirmed no LSD on sport spec for 2022 model!! So its not really $40,000 for something with an LSD which should be standard

On 12/09/2021 at 08:51, GranTurismoEra said:

If people are thinking of the new M3/M4 i think they will be around £50,000 even then. The older M4 and M2 Competition will be around £30-£35k used. Competition will be stiff. In terms of new cars most similar cars are around the £50,000+ mark. From F Type, Supra to Cayman.

If Nissan are offering Performance pack at £45,000 it still undercuts all those cars including the TTRS and is in line with Supra 2.0.

Being a rebodied 370Z a price cap of £40,000 initially should be okay but it still wont sell huge numbers. As in 2000+ year 1 in Europe 

Thats the issue for Renault Nissan group. Put it at 30k and adjust finance options and theres a whole new crowd interested. That for an ex demo or used car sure. It wont be the performance pack though

Also Nissan Comms confirmed no LSD on sport spec for 2022 model!! So its not really $40,000 for something with an LSD which should be standard

Wonder if it is possible for them to bring a RHD Jap car over as a test vehicle not ot be sold and also a press car. And then have one dealership be the sole importer/official service test centre

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hmale4yu said:

Wonder if it is possible for them to bring a RHD Jap car over as a test vehicle not ot be sold and also a press car. And then have one dealership be the sole importer/official service test centre

Possible? Yes.

Likely? No.

They couldn't "have" one dealership import the cars either. Any dealership wishing to import one would have to do so independantly. Otherwise Nissan are selling the car in a market they have many reasons, two of which being poor sales and high cost, not to sell a car in but at exceptionally low volumes and exceptionally high cost.

Speaking of - why would they ship a car over a country without any intention of ever selling it there when they just invite the press to place where the car is for the cost of an email or two instead.

Or - what Dan said.

Im not sure Nissan would do that. Its all or nothing. I mean theyll need to advertise the car during champions league games etc, billboards to promote the car. Otherwise it may end up struggling like the 370Z. US alone buys 3-5 times as many Z as Europe. 

I did speak to someone at Nissan London West who claimed the dealership imported a few R34 in the past independently. Not sure if that was true. Might go down and speak to them about that possibility. Much like the Alpine A110 it will be low numbers trying to appeal to a few people in central London and a couple of Youtubers. Who as you know Nissan will rely on for free promotion.

Why spend millions advertising a low segment. Better off doing that for the Ariya and Qashqai as well upcoming Nissan Sunderland EV Concept. 

You can bring a press car and drive it around all the main HPC in UK and Europe. I still think 1000-2000 cars year 1 EU is a stretch. Z4, 2 Series and SLK probably appeal more. That's why its gone more subtle and GT with tech to try to appeal to more people. A few ppl will be buying their first Nissan according to other Z forums

Imagine Nissan did all the marketing and promo and released it in say 2017 -  2019 before Z4 and new SLK coming it would have been better. Seems a bit late in the process. Ghosn didnt want a new Z so thats just hypothetical

Edited by GranTurismoEra

423 in UK alone for a £54,000 Japanese niche car is actually good if it was annual but this is year 3 my mistake**. In comparison I wasn't expecting anything more than 200-300 per year for the Z unless it costs the same as the 350Z at £36,000 then maybe they can shift 500-600 over the same period of 2-3 years. Thats a huge chunk of Europe since their car taxation is absurd. Wouldnt expect any EU country to be buying significantly more than UK

There must be a reason when looking at UK sales vs the EU. UK buys a significant chunk of Sports Cars. It might be down to larger working class and middle class....and vast array of financing options for people with anything above average credit. 423 out of say 2000 is over a fifth. Compared with the numerous amounts of countries in EU. UK is one of if not the biggest buyer. Maybe Germany account for similar sales followed by Italy or Switzerland etc. 

Maybe Nissan set a target to be greater than year 1 370Z sales (1000) and thought its not possible. But they also have to remember the shift in the market worldwide and be realistic.

In comparison they are probably expecting 400-500 Z per month in US alone for year 1. Canada, Japan and Australia are just supplements. 

Shifting greater than 1000 cars EU year 1 would require serious promotion, discounts etc..in all EU countries...dont see it

https://carsalesbase.com/europe-toyota-supra/

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Nissan looked at the cost of meeting emissions regulations in UK and Europe and at their mounting debts and thought sod that.

They won’t have got anywhere near looking at sales of the ‘70 (or the Supra) before it was already a complete non-starter.

When (if) Nissan’s financial situation sufficiently improves for them to reconsider spending that kind of money to bring the Z here, then, and only then, will they look at sales volumes. And will probably then think sod that again.

Also, by then, you won’t be able to buy petrol powered cars in the UK, because the UK government never changes its plans… :lol:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Lol thats all been shut down by Euro 7. Mr Renault said they're not investing in Petrol or Diesel engines going forward. Its going to be electric for anything thats hybrid now. Micra is getting scrapped and Juke etc will be moved on to Electrification.

Besides the car is apparently not out until June 2022. I reckon it will cost over 5 million Yen for the Performance. Expensive but look at the cost of the current Nismo over there. 

The Sport will probably cost 4 million plus Yen and Performance 5 million+.

86/ BRZ is around £22,000 (3.7 million yen)...Im assuming Sport Z will be in line with US at £28,000 and Performance £33,000 (5 million plus yen). Just a guess..

@dean_asla What are the dealers saying about pre orders and release. Is it actually June 2022?