ABS, ESP TCS warning lights

Randy_Baton

Hi, long time no speak... 😁

I've had the ABS/TCS/ESP light issue for a few years now, lights would come on and my brake lights would stop working. To fix it I would just pull the brake switch out of the pedal post and give the switch a quick few compressions. That would fix for a few weeks, I then tried spraying electrical cleaner into the switch and it would clear it for months.

It started to get worse at the start of the year so I order a new switch from Zmanalex. Installed the switch and the issue went away for a few days but then returned.  The warning lights now trigger pretty much the first time I press the brakes and my brake lights don't work at all.

After installing the new switch I started to have an issue with cruise control not setting but it would only take 1 or 2 press of the switch to get it to set. Now it won't set at all, it just flashes when I press the switch.

I've pulled both the brake and cruise control switches and tested them on a multi meter. The brake switch shows minimal resistance when compressed and no continuity when released the CC is the other way round. 

What else can I try? is it time to take it to the garage to see what actual error code is?

I've tried doing some hard brakes in the wet and everything seems fine from an ABS point of view. I did have one tyre fixed around the same time I replaced the switch so did think they may have damaged the ABS sensor removing my wheel, but presume a faulty ABS wouldn't stop the brake lights working?

I'm thinking maybe its the wiring or brake light socket? Perhaps I've damaged it by having to pull the switch out every month or so? Is there anyway to diagnose this? 

Edited by Randy_Baton

I've had a whole batch of switches go on me after just a few weeks/months.

I reckon maybe 5 switches in the past year.

Also check that the brake fluid level isn't too low or too high.

My last switch change was a few weeks ago and at the time I noticed my brake fluid level was slightly high after a service and brake pad and disc strip and clean due to squeaking.

Brake fluid is fine, mines a little over high, but Zman said this was fine when I ordered the OEM switch from him a few months ago.. There's nothing complex going on inside the switch I took the old one completely apart to see if giving the contacts a total clean would fix it. I can try another switch but my multi meter shows its working as a switch gate should i.e. on or off.

I also have the cruise control set light blinking, which doesn't seem to be a common problem on threads discussing the abs/tcs lights. But i'm not sure how many people use cruise control, so it may not be  noticed.

A flashing Set light means:

Malfunction for some self-diagnoses regarding ASCD control: SET lamp will blink quickly.

Perhaps if yours is failing all time its not a fault with the part you keep replacing 🧐... I'll keep you informed....

Anyone in the brighton area have an ABS code reader???

Edited by Randy_Baton

I bought a big batch of Eurocarparts.

They were about a fiver each.

Got an OEM Nissan one now.

The OEM one has a greater and smoother travel than the generic ones 

I too dismantled the switch and find it mind boggling how a simple contact switch can fail but fail they did:surrender:.

Let's hope the OEM one I got lasts at least a couple years:doh:

Well the OEM one I got lasted 3 days, just got one from ebay and put it in and everything's back to normal. The CC was still flashing SET for a bit but i got annoyed and pressed/ switched all the steering wheel face controls and that sorted it . It might be that the CC set rocker switch is on the way out or just a gremlin.