Hi everyone! 

I'm Lauren I have always wanted a nissan 350z due to loving the JDM scene and car culture.

I have been recently trying to look for a nissan to buy however the only one I have come across with low mileage and a good price is an automatic... and I don't like auto as I prefer manual. So with that does anyone think it maybe worth it to just get the auto and then swap it to a manual transmission? Or should I just keep waiting  

Thanks

:welcome:  to the forum.

In answer to your question it is very straight forward converting from auto to manual, however it can be very expensive and time consuming so may not be cost effective for you I am afraid.

Is it a JDM that you are after or would a UK 350 be acceptable?

If the latter there are plenty cars out there and it is just a case of waiting until you find a clean low mileage example, but you may have to travel.

Thank you for replying!

A JDM or a uk 350z would be fine it was just a question of is it worth converting a auto to manual. The only problem I am finding is that because the 350z is going up in value it is hard to find one with low mileage for a  reasonable price. I don't mind the travelling.  Another thing is if it is worth saving up a bit more to buy one of higher pricer with lower mileage 🤔

22 minutes ago, Lauren_Davinaz said:

.  Another thing is if it is worth saving up a bit more to buy one of higher pricer with lower mileage 🤔

I personally am attracted to lower mileage examples, however a lot of peeps on here are not put off with average mileage cars providing they have been well maintained.

The UK GT model is the most popular and the facelift model with the HR engine is very popular.

I also forgot to say that I work in the automotive industry so I can do quite a bit myself so time isn't an issue, as it would be sorned off the road untill I've finished working on a 350z it is just trying to see if it is worth it to change it from auto to manual transmission.  I'm really wanting to get a 350z with low ish mileage but can't find one anywhere, and I just fear that by the time I do find a manual 350z with all that I want then the price would have gone up  🤔

Welcome to the forum

It depends what you class as a low mileage example 

For a 350Z, I classed low miles in between 60-80K considering their age (I managed to get one on 65K in 2019) and you are right, for clean and well looked after examples in this range- prices are going up

If you are looking for a Z lower than 50K miles then prices are getting a bit silly and i dont think ive seen one recently for less than £10K

Good luck in your search, keep checking this forum as there are often cracking examples listed here. 

• Thanks 1

Be patient and look for a manual. Plenty of nice examples with known history come up for sale in our ‘Zeds for sale’ section. Welcome onboard. Someone on here brought a 2003 mint car with less than 40k miles on it for £5k recently . 

Edited by Payco
  • Thanks 1

Hi and welcome to the club.

It depends on what your definition of low mileage is for a 15+ year old car and also, what you class as a good price.
Whilst it's good to consider, I wouldn't let mileage be the sole defining factor of a good. I've seen "lower" mileage cars that are far rustier and in worse condition than higher mileage cars. A 15 year old car with 100,000 miles would mean the drivers done 6.6k a year, which isn't particularly a lot. 

As the others have said, there are a lot of cars out there. When I was looking recently, I remember in one day around 5 different Zed's got uploaded to eBay. They do seem to be rising in price and if so that's just something you have to accept when purchasing one. No point thinking about what the value used to be.

Be patient. Understand what you want and how much it will realistically cost. You'll find the right one. 

• Thanks 1

Hello and welcome, finding the right example for you can be tricky but most of the time you just have to be patient. Don’t rush and make sure if you’re willing to make a sacrifice on something that you’re willing to live with it. 
As far as the transmission swap goes it should be fairly straightforward however I imagine a jdm z you might have electrical issues if someone supplies a uk box I believe, as people seem to have a couple of issues with simpler jdm electric compared to an auto box swap.

but I will say the manual box definitely is of a better quality than the auto atleast in the ones I’ve driven and from what I’ve read up about them 

• Thanks 1