Single Turbo vs Supercharger

Jozh350z

Hi guys so I’m really stuck between getting a single turbo kit or a supercharger kit for my 2006 Nissan 350z, I want it to be reliable and over 400bhp. Problem is I absolutely love the sound of the turbo noise compared to a supercharger but if it’ll be perfectly reliable then I would rather that. I have a budget of about £7k which would be for supply and fit from a mechanic so could someone please help me decide? Thank you

Edited by Jozh350z
Forgot to add something

For £7k supercharger all the way but your gonna have to get a used supercharger kit to get the installation included in the price. 

how mechanically minded are you? I’ve done both supercharger and twin turbo setup DIY and the supercharger is super easy to diy

Thanks for the information mate. Well you say that but I’m looking at this ebay single turbo kit which a few people I know have and apparently it’s very reliable and good (with a different wastegate). And then I could always upgrade the turbo at some point. Or even get a separate turbo before. Horsham Developments have quoted about 6k for supply and fit.

Honestly no I am terrible with mechanical work I don’t even want to attempt it haha so would have to be professionally done.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292201496331

Who do you know who has that exact kit? I wouldn’t be buying anything from the States direct, I’d get a UK company to supply (even if that means paying more) as you have way more protection when things inevitably don’t fit/are incorrect/break. 

Turbo vs SC is a huge question in itself, drivability between the two is massive and depending on how you want the car to drive will depend on what suits you. 

Without checking back over your posts, I’m assuming you’ve done all the other supporting mods already?

2 hours ago, ilogikal1 said:

Am I missing something here? You say you would prefer a turbo, you say you’ve got a price from a reputable company who can supply and fit within your budget. So… what’s this thread actually about then?

Just want it to be reliable😂

7 minutes ago, Jozh350z said:

Fits RHD aswell 

I doubt it fits anything as well as it should do. It seems your mind was made up before starting this thread so it’s all been a waste of time really 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jozh350z said:

Just want it to be reliable😂

The best people to tell you that would be the reputable trader who is providing and fitting the kit for you...

Seriously, speak to Horsham, tell them what you want from it and they'll be able to tell you what strain the kit they're supplying would be running under to get what you're looking for. Or, what you'd need to spend to get reliability out of "over 400bhp".

6 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

The best people to tell you that would be the reputable trader who is providing and fitting the kit for you...

Seriously, speak to Horsham, tell them what you want from it and they'll be able to tell you what strain the kit they're supplying would be running under to get what you're looking for. Or, what you'd need to spend to get reliability out of "over 400bhp".

Okay thank you man will do👌

Reliability will be down to the quality of the product and how well the product is fitted and how good the tune is, which is key.

Also good regular maintenance will go a long way to give you reasonable longevity.

Been there and done all the FI stuff, currently running an 810 bhp 350Z and a 900bhp R35.

Both these cars are predominantly used on track and both require super regular weekly maintenance.

You do not get a lot for 7K once you take into account the cost of supporting mods.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Reliability will be down to the quality of the product and how well the product is fitted and how good the tune is, which is key.

Also good regular maintenance will go a long way to give you reasonable longevity.

Been there and done all the FI stuff, currently running an 810 bhp 350Z and a 900bhp R35.

Both these cars are predominantly used on track and both require super regular weekly maintenance.

You do not get a lot for 7K once you take into account the cost of supporting mods.

I’m not looking for something insane like that😂 just a little bit more power for a fun daily lol. I have all the supporting mods it’s just the kit and tune I need

I considered it but didnt bother turboing mine as to make the most if the gains you would need to be forged, SC doesnt do as much power to start with so I didnt really consider that was worth it for the outlay either. 

If youre going to do it then Id use whatever Horsham are happy with, if you can stretch to getting the engine forged at the same time its probably worth it IMO

On 27/06/2021 at 21:25, ZMANALEX said:

Rather OT but did I see your vert on track with Andy Forrests new ........ "thing" at Knockhill last week? If  so, how much faster than an actual F1 car is it? :lol:

19 minutes ago, docwra said:

Rather OT but did I see your vert on track with Andy Forrests new ........ "thing" at Knockhill last week? If  so, how much faster than an actual F1 car is it? :lol:

Quite possibly as Andy and I frequent KRC on a regular basis and are mostly at the same meets.

His car is capable of 45secs on a good day with no traffic  and proper tyres.

I would say that around Knockhill it is faster than an F1.

18 hours ago, Jozh350z said:

So I don’t really know to go for this ebay turbo kit and they’ll have to modify it to get it to fit or get an actual UK made turbo for the 350z by Kudaka Performance and just spend a bit more? 

There's a lot that makes a difference, I believe the Rev9 kit you are referencing is top mount, and the Kudaka kit is a mid mount, which requires an oiling system, scavenge pump etc. Which are usually fine however more moving parts to fail, I can't say I've looked into the Kudaka kit and the spec of it. Heat will play a big part in both if you like to hoon it, so maybe up-rate the cooling system also.

cheap, fast, reliable, pick two.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a supercharger kit as I plan on tracking the car and don't want to forge the engine. Plus the units being standalone units appeal a lot more to me. Less to go wrong too personally.

Edited by AlexRussell99
  • Like 1

I always look at these things with the, Do you value the car, do you want it done right ?

If you answer either of those with a yes, don't buy a crap turbo kit off Ebay. If it means waiting a few more months to save the extra, get a reputable company to fit a known and trusted set up. If it ain't done right, best case scenario is it will be low numbers. Worst case, it self destructs at the first sign of a dyno pull.