Air leak under plastic engine cover?

veeg33

Had a faulty ignition coil back in Sept/Oct last year, swapped new ignition coil at cylinder 1. Had some events of misfire again this morning, intermittently and seems to go away after i restart the engine. Though another coil is on its way. Having said that, I also noticed that the misfiring happens when I'm accelerating (towards the end RPM before gear change, if you get what i mean). After gear change the misfiring stopped and starts again just before next gear change but only if i'm accelerating hard.

Checked all coil listening for clicks with screw drivers - All of them clicking, removed the connectors and all made a change in engine tone. Hence I've ruled out coil/spark plug issue for now. Done all this while the zed is misfiring, weirdly it starts to misfire when i reverse into my drive. :ohmy:

Whilst doing this, I noticed a hissing sound coming from under the plastic engine cover. Close to driver side's first ignition coil ie cylinder 1. Will be taking the cover off over the weekend and try to find out if there is any leak but I can't remember what's behind the cover. Did i manage to damage something when i swap cylinder 1 ignition coil. I only move one rubber hose out of the way and I've run my fingers around this hose and can't feel any leak or suction.

Anyone had similar problem that could share your experience so that I can narrow it down will be a great help.

Many thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Following up on this:

My ears are rubbish 😂😂, no air leak.

Whilst it was misfiring last week, I disconnected cylinder 1, 3, 5 and 2, one at a time as it was the easiest to do without removing anything. None of them made a change in engine tone. I swapped no1 few months back, thought the new part is faulty but it wasn't.

Since the weather is good this morning, decided to strip the air intake and check cylinder 4 and 6. Took a guess and started with no6. Hit the jackpot 🤦🏻‍♂️. When I took the coil pack out, it was full of engine oil. No issue on no2 and no4.

New cam cover time as brilliant Nissan engineer decided to mould the seal into the cover 🤨. Can't be asked messing swapping out the oil seal (drilling and pushing them in and waiting for it to dry for at least 24hrs) and Zmanalex sells a new full covers + gasket + bolts for few less than £30 extra compared to repair kits (6x oil seals + gasket only).

Ordering tomorrow and hopefully next weekend, with good weather I'll swap them out.

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Good shout pal and defiantly the right course of action. 

Awaiting delivery and nice weather, I'll be swapping them out. Was tempted to buy Ebay's special but i guess they are cheap for a reason.

Replaced them covers today, probably picked the wrong day for it. Way too hot to be working on the zed today, sun burnt as I was under the hood got a good 4hrs in total. 

All went well, started the zed and still misfiring 🤦🏻‍♂️. Drove it around to burn out all the oil left in cylinder no6 which previously had oil leak in it. Didn't stop the misfiring. Back to basics again by unplugging one coil pack at a time. Guess what, it cylinder no5 🤦🏻‍♂️ started playing up. It was the connector. When I wiggle it a little, the misfiring stopped. Took it off and give it a quick clean with contact cleaner. Did the job, but as soon as I took it out for a test run, the first bump on the road sets it off again. Parked on the road side and adjusted it again. I was pretty sure the connector/connection of no5 is the issue. I was hoping is the female connector on the coil is playing up rather than the male connector on the wiring harness. Lucky I bought a new coil pack just incase I need to replace no6. Swapped it out and the misfiring is sorted. Drove around for 15mins and it is all good 🤞. Looks like them coil packs are on their way hence probably best to replace the other 4. I had previously swapped no1.

A good day I must say. Enjoyed working on the zed and found out that I can speak many languages too 😎

• Like 2