Run for the hills? 4k for fair example but has hot start trouble and a ticking noise

autorune

Hi all, just made an account for this. Spotted on a local FB page and is also listed on ebay. Seller is asking 4k and met up today to see what it was all about.

Not much on  history, sat at just shy of 90k miles and based on MOT history it was stored for about 3 years since 2017 and  part-exchanged to the dealer currently selling  it - they made a point that they just want to shift it and get back "what  it owes him". Might be adamant on the price but could make an offer  - so far I have  walked and said I'm going to ask some people that are a bit more clued up.

Oil pressure looks how it should, revs/drives as it should. However, when hot, takes a few attempts to get going (gotta  add a  little throttle too). It also has a ticking noise  which reminds me of  the fuel pump on my old mk4 golf VP37. Tick tick tick, goes faster with revs and disappears closer to redline. He reckons that it needs a new fuel damper and crank  sensor (cam has already been done along with a full service) and the sooty exhaust tips do point to dampers. Digging on here, youtube and various sources point to something less serious than timing chain guides as there's no grinding or irregularity. However, I do worry it could still possibly timing chain guide or valve related. What are your thought guys and girls?

Very similar to this video I found, but just the ticking, not grinding, nor knocking

Edited by autorune

Have you got a link to the ad? 

The engine in that video doesn't sound healthy to me, plus if it doesn't have much history it's a major gamble and could end up very costly. 

By all means go for it if you're happy with the risk but personally I wouldn't pay anywhere near 4k. 

I take it the dealer isn't offering any warranty? If it truly is just a cheap and easy fix such as a fuel damper or crank sensor then surely they would do it themselves and sell car for a higher price..

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

Have you got a link to the ad? 

The engine in that video doesn't sound healthy to me, plus if it doesn't have much history it's a major gamble and could end up very costly. 

By all means go for it if you're happy with the risk but personally I wouldn't pay anywhere near 4k. 

I take it the dealer isn't offering any warranty? If it truly is just a cheap and easy fix such as a fuel damper or crank sensor then surely they would do it themselves and sell car for a higher price..

Exactly, that's why the tapping wasn't in the ad. Assuming  you mean history on paperwork side

Ebay link here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184890841563

Given the risk wouldn't pay more than 3k; as far as I know that would cover chain+guides and some new buckets and whatever other misc bits. No warranty, a dealer got a bad PX and wants to shift it cos they know its a bit of a heap, though surely for the right price it could be remedied and still have costed less than a slightly better example.

I'd imagine fuel damper/crank sensor would likely fix the starting issue unless its due to being off-time but they haven't been clear about the other, more important issue lol. On  that note, found out I can use NDS2 with my VCDS cables which would have been helpful yesterday lol, assuming it doesn't use consult (though I imagine it would if it was a JDM import?).

I might lowball if the auction ends without a sale but would it even be worth the risk at that?

Edited by autorune
  • Like 1

Yeah I meant service history, I'm always dubious of any motor that doesn't have a paperwork trail to show its been well maintained, especially something that's 17 years old. 

It looks fairly standard and tidy in the ad so that's good, but with no warranty whatsoever it's definitely a risk. Like you've said though, if you're happy knowing that you may have to sink a fair bit of money in to get it running properly and can get it for a really low price then go for it. 

Personally I'm not a gambling man so would rather something like this-

It needs some TLC cosmetically to sort out the rust and scuffs, but is mechanically sound and owned by someone on here so probably been very well cared for. 

Didn’t sound good mate, I’d say potentially chain or very possibly injectors, if you don’t have a service history I’d say you’re pissing in the wind, if you don’t know how many services it’s had that’s down to fate, did you check the oil level? 

It just goes with the fact if you don’t mind risking it FairPlay crack on, but if it’s not been serviced with an oil and filter regularly what other little nasty surprises are you going to find 

5 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Yeah I meant service history, I'm always dubious of any motor that doesn't have a paperwork trail to show its been well maintained, especially something that's 17 years old. 

It looks fairly standard and tidy in the ad so that's good, but with no warranty whatsoever it's definitely a risk. Like you've said though, if you're happy knowing that you may have to sink a fair bit of money in to get it running properly and can get it for a really low price then go for it. 

Personally I'm not a gambling man so would rather something like this-

It needs some TLC cosmetically to sort out the rust and scuffs, but is mechanically sound and owned by someone on here so probably been very well cared for. 

5 hours ago, Azurez33 said:

Didn’t sound good mate, I’d say potentially chain or very possibly injectors, if you don’t have a service history I’d say you’re pissing in the wind, if you don’t know how many services it’s had that’s down to fate, did you check the oil level? 

It just goes with the fact if you don’t mind risking it FairPlay crack on, but if it’s not been serviced with an oil and filter regularly what other little nasty surprises are you going to find 

Cheers for the input both, I was tempted to lowball it closer to 2k but it looks like someone just picked it up full price. Oof. But yeah, too many unknowns. The V5 was in the car but didn't see any other paperwork and didn't ask for more once they opened the bonnet and the rattle became evident. The seller had clearly serviced it but when I brought up the noise I suggested timing belt and they were sort of blase about it and just went with what I said even though they seemed fairly clued up. The more I post and recollect stuff it just becomes clearer I was right to leave it first time round sheesh

Also thanks for the spot on that ad Jack, good timing but shame its a 13h roundtrip. Gave the guy a message anyways as can probably arrange a video viewing and transport if its a sure-thing. Compared to the OP which was a JDM import, the insurance decrease would cover the cost of transport twice over. Nice one.

Side note, been a VAG guy through and through but now I'm permanently WFH I was looking at getting rid/downgrading my daily to more of a shopping cart and getting something like an S3/4 or R32. That's what I came across the Z and tbh I'm questioning my loyalty now lol.

Edited by autorune
  • Like 1

You know what you need out of your car mate, I daily mine but wish I didn’t but it works for me currently, if I had space and the need I’d get something else but already got a few projects, both cars you’ve mentioned are very thirsty, but I’d go for the 32 over the s4 because they’re going up slowly in value especially the dsgs 

with regards to the steer clear, usually your first instincts are right, dealers are crafty and love using the ignorance card to make you feel like something’s okay when it’s not, if you buy it sounding like that they’ll try and pull your pants down. If it doesn’t have a paper trail it’s probably not worth it.  

19 minutes ago, Azurez33 said:

You know what you need out of your car mate, I daily mine but wish I didn’t but it works for me currently, if I had space and the need I’d get something else but already got a few projects, both cars you’ve mentioned are very thirsty, but I’d go for the 32 over the s4 because they’re going up slowly in value especially the dsgs 

with regards to the steer clear, usually your first instincts are right, dealers are crafty and love using the ignorance card to make you feel like something’s okay when it’s not, if you buy it sounding like that they’ll try and pull your pants down. If it doesn’t have a paper trail it’s probably not worth it.  

For sure, I like a gamble but there's only so much risk I'll usually take. He didn't really press for a sale but tried to capitalize on the gamble. Not really for me but was definitely worth asking around in case.

An old Polo or something for UberEats/shopping runs would do nicely with something fun for days out/work trips to client site. Expecting the "fun" car to be thirsty but even 10mpg over a couple thousand miles a year won't make a massive impact.