Tarmac Sportz HFC

Ben1444

Need a little help, got me some brand spanking new tarmac sportz HFC's, fitted them and then took the car in for an MOT and its failed on the emissions massively (this is with me pre warming and with the tester taking the car out himself) so my major questions are simple.

How hot do you need to get these things? Tarmac Sportz claim they will pass cold on the website but i was dubious of that. Is it a case of a 30minute spirited drive, or closer to 2 hours?

or are there other things i can do to bring the emissions down?

going back to oem cats isnt an option as car didnt have any when purchased. :(

With any set of sports cats, your best bet is to get them HOT prior to testing as normally the emission is the last part of the MOT, therefore will have cooled down from the drive to the test center. Another place you've posted you stated these were warm at the point of testing and not hot. 

Doubt I've ever seen a HFC sales add showing able to pass emissions cold? Got a screen shot.....

Edited by davey_83

Tarmac Sportz High Flow Cats, Sports Cats, HFCs, Catalytic Converters  

Whatever you want to call them they are here and they maximize air flow to give your DE more power, our HFCs are a Euro 200 Cell Spiral Wound Metallic Substrate for maximum air flow and performance.

These HFCs have been tested at our local MOT station and passed emissions tests with flying colours from a cold start although we do recommend warming them up prior to having an MOT. This is standard practise with all HFCs.

You will notice an increase in noise when fitted to your car, they become especially lively around 3k revs, they can be fitted with forced induction vehicles however no warranty is provided and we would recommend decats.

Our HFCs come with an extra 02 sensor bung should you want to run wide band gauges, on average you should see gains of around 15bhp with HFCs, check out our power packages as well, Plenum spacer, panel filter and a set of HFCs will usually see around a 25bhp increase

PLEASE NOTE: As with all HFCs, there is a possibility that HFCs will bring up an Engine Management Light,

CEL Eliminators usually work but this is not always the case,

We recommend getting the car remapped after fitting to remove the light if the EML persists.

PLEASE NOTE: These will not fit the HR Engine, please see our other listing HERE

Fits VQ35DE Motor:

FITMENT

Nissan 350Z 2003-2006

• Like 1

Interesting - Despite what's written above, when I spoke to T/S about HFCs a while back I was told that they would need to be hot prior to the MOT emissions test.

Mine are currently standard, but having researched the subject and the numerous brand options, plus receiving professional advice from my Indie, I'm going down the Cobra route.

Edited by Loadmaster

A spirited drive isn't whats required as they will cool down in-between, you need to literally hold it at x amount of revs for several minutes so they are HOT and then test the emissions straight away. High flow cats are never a guaranteed way of passing emissions though. 

You're other option is find a friendly tester or leave a box of beers in the car? Mine used to always look the other way providing everything else was safe

• Like 1