Oil stains in inner alloys ?

AmyZed

Hi all, hoping someone could help- Ive had white wheels on my 350 for 7 plus years and as they’re white I clean them a lot! 
This weekend they had oil inside the inner barrels / alloy - on all four alloys. Never happened before. Hope the photo will help… 

does anyone know what may have caused this and where it’s from? 
thank you in advance! 
itd just come back from a service but wheels weren’t removed so trying to figure out where the oil is coming from

2C91EFC7-FBF3-4005-B8A0-92DE1E523B9E.jpeg

0F9C050A-D56F-41E9-9C2E-CAD1FA457A4B.jpeg

Its weird that it's on all four, maybe it's something that's kicked up from the road as it looks different on each picture?

I guess it could even be a small bit of spill onto the undertray that's then been kicked up as the car has been moved/driven?

Hope you get it sorted.

On 14/06/2021 at 15:14, Sim said:

Its weird that it's on all four, maybe it's something that's kicked up from the road as it looks different on each picture?

I guess it could even be a small bit of spill onto the undertray that's then been kicked up as the car has been moved/driven?

Hope you get it sorted.

Thank you, possibly! I guess I’ll need to get it to a garage and ask what they think it is, and see if any more appears as I drive it again. 

• Like 1

You sure it's oil?

If you drove on a wet day and the water got in the disks it could literral be rusty water spinning out of the vents - thats why it would be in line with the disks.

On the other hand you could have washed her and let the water stand a bit before driving, would be more likley to happen if she was parked up for a while before a good old wash as well.

The big dots are when you stop - hopefully it will clean off if you get to it quickly.

:)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 16/06/2021 at 20:05, Keyser said:

You sure it's oil?

If you drove on a wet day and the water got in the disks it could literral be rusty water spinning out of the vents - thats why it would be in line with the disks.

On the other hand you could have washed her and let the water stand a bit before driving, would be more likley to happen if she was parked up for a while before a good old wash as well.

The big dots are when you stop - hopefully it will clean off if you get to it quickly.

:)

Thank you For your message! You were right that’s what it was! Never had this before but luckily wasn’t oil, just very browny water, feel a bit silly now but even a garage were rubbing their heads about “oil” there when they saw it. Very glad that it was just brown water stains though! Thank you 

• Like 1

Quote:

"If you drove on a wet day and the water got in the disks it could literral be rusty water spinning out of the vents - thats why it would be in line with the disks. "

Yes, in my experience disc brakes are prone to causing this inner wheel staining, but not those with drum brakes. It is more evident after a run following cleaning - no doubt the soapy water helps shift the build up of pad residue within the discs.  A decent wheel brush will easily clean off the staining.