Graphene Coating

coldel

I’m not an expert but I understand the magic of graphene is in the hexagonal structure and the atoms all being arranged in a horizontal lattice, a single layer thin. It seems technically challenging to produce in a lab and I’m pretty sure that squeezing it out of a bottle isn’t part of that process.

Reeks of detailing buzz words like nano, silicon, glass, si02, ceramic that are misappropriated for bottles that have no correlation with the processes they “lend” from.

Not that I’m deeply cynical :lol:

• Haha 1

My initial thoughts are; latest hype product, with a very strong caveat that I've not actually used or tested any personally (yet). And for the price of graphene products, I'm in no rush to either :lol:. I am, however, currently judging based almost entirely on the brands which have released graphene coatings to date.... There's very few large, respected brands that have adopted graphene into their line ups (that's not to say they're not developing products, I know a couple that absolutely are).

From what I've seen from people I actually know and, more importantly, trust;

TL/DR: Current graphene coatings don't do anything new that (good) ceramic coatings don't already do. Some just does certain things a bit differently. However, it's early days for graphene and there is potential in the science behind it.

Pros -

Graphene is apparently a slicker finish.

Meh -

Application: it's not easier or more difficult to apply than ceramics - rather just different, you can't treat them the same way - so it comes down to user preference on application.

In terms of looks, it's pretty indistinguishable.

Chemical resistance: nothing in it.

Ceramics tend to "clog up" quicker than graphene - whilst there's little-to-no difference in terms of self-cleaning ability, ceramics do need a proper clean to retain it's water behaviour whilst graphene doesn't... but graphene are infinitely more prone to water etching than ceramics are to water spotting. Basically when you see water spotting on graphene it'll need to be polished out (taking the coating with it) whilst water spotting on ceramics can be chemically removed without affecting the coating. (i.e. ceramics will lose it's hydrophobic ability over time if left, whilst graphene won't - but ceramics can be revived with the right shampoo whilst graphene can't).

Cons - 

Durability: the above point notwithstanding (i.e. ceramics do need a bit of care, albeit not topping up), ceramics win hands down. Graphene coatings aren't terrible, but the existing offerings aren't as durable as a good ceramic coating when both are properly applied.

Also graphene tends to fall off a cliff whilst ceramics will deteriorate over a period of time until failure.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

I'm still a paste wax sort of guy once a quarter with spray sealant top ups in-between. 

I wish I had somewhere to apply ceramic to the whole car. :(

On wheels it's like magic. Well, Gyeon one is on my Advan TC-4. Carbon Collective wheel product not as good it seems on my Work D9R.

I’ve decided to give Bilt Hamber Double Speed a go. 

In terms of wheels mentioned above I tried Gyeon Q2 Rim and it’s bloody brilliant. Reasonable price, so so easy to apply, and it’s bone dry second after throwing a bucket of water over the wheels. Brilliant stuff.

• Like 1