Coilover options

dean_asla

The time has come where I need to replace the 350Z suspension.

I currently use the car for street driving only, the plan would be to eventually get it on the track (won't be drifting) with the hope of doing around 6 track days per year. The car has done 150,000km, there is a few things to do to the car before I even think about going on any track.

However the suspension needs done now and I'm thinking about the future and the fact I will take it on track at some point.

This has me leaning towards coilovers, with the fact that this is going to be 95% a street car, I don't want to go crazy and buy top of the range coilovers.

I'm in Japan, meaning I have to choose something that is available to me out here, looking to spend around £1000.

Options I have:

Tein Flex Z (Will cost around £655)

Blitz Damper ZZ-R    (Will cost around £675)

Cusco Street Zero (Will cost around £860)

Nismo S Tune (Will cost around £1000, however it says its not for the Nismo version, I have a Nismo but didn't think there was anything different  from standard 350z, which wouldn't allow me to use certain suspension kits, is it because this came standard on the Nismo?)

HKS Hipermax MAX4 (Will cost around £1200, above my budget but would be willing to stretch if they would be a lot better than the other options)

Would be grateful for some opinions on the above units, your thoughts on if they are any good and also some feedback on why you wouldn't go with any of the options.

BC Racing BR also well worth looking at, I’ve had them across three different vehicles (including a 350) and found them to be excellent in terms of quality, adjustability and damping levels. 

HKS used to have to be sent back to Japan to be fixed, dont know if thats still the case?
Teins werent ever really that good and Ive heard havent improved, cant speak for the other but I had HSDs on mine and they were really impressive for the money. 

Ive got Meister GT1 on my BMW and really rate them, CRDs are available for about £800 for the 350Z - might be worth a look?

The difficulty with coilovers is very few people have used more than one type on a given chassis so comparison isnt easy 

16 hours ago, Ekona said:

BC Racing BR also well worth looking at, I’ve had them across three different vehicles (including a 350) and found them to be excellent in terms of quality, adjustability and damping levels. 

I did think of BC, they seem to be much more expensive in Japan than in the UK or the U.S. Same price as the HKS I mentioned above but still £300 more than you'd pay in the UK for the same units. Still could be an option though.

15 hours ago, docwra said:

HKS used to have to be sent back to Japan to be fixed, dont know if thats still the case?
Teins werent ever really that good and Ive heard havent improved, cant speak for the other but I had HSDs on mine and they were really impressive for the money. 

Ive got Meister GT1 on my BMW and really rate them, CRDs are available for about £800 for the 350Z - might be worth a look?

The difficulty with coilovers is very few people have used more than one type on a given chassis so comparison isnt easy 

Not sure if that's still the case with HKS, I am in Japan but still wouldn't want the hassle if they do have known issues. The Meister's don't seem to be available in Japan, that doesn't look to be an option for me, thanks for the feedback though. 

Tbh, you’d need the specs of all the dampers and the spring rates to make an informed decision as much as people saying “yeah I’ve had these and they’re great”, as it depends on what kind of feel you want from them. 

• Like 2

On 08/05/2021 at 03:44, dean_asla said:

Not sure if that's still the case with HKS, I am in Japan but still wouldn't want the hassle if they do have known issues. The Meister's don't seem to be available in Japan, that doesn't look to be an option for me, thanks for the feedback though. 

No known issues but coilovers will fail over time - when Apex in the UK would replace an individual damper having to send a set off to Japan to be looked at was a bit of a pain to say the least :lol:

Of what youve listed Id go with HKS but thats experience from a good few years ago, theres nothing wrong with Cusco, Bilstein or S-Tunes, I do seem to remember S-Tunes being £££ in the UK though

Edited by docwra
  • Like 2

On 08/05/2021 at 14:11, ShortPaul said:

Maybe bilstein, they have been around for a long time 

I think they are going to be a little above what I want to pay right now.

On 08/05/2021 at 23:51, Ekona said:

Didn’t know you were in Japan, now it makes more sense why you’re only looking at JDM options :lol:

Yeah, I'm in Osaka. Can be very difficult to get what you need when you don't speak the language. 

• Like 1

On 10/05/2021 at 13:46, docwra said:

No known issues but coilovers will fail over time - when Apex in the UK would replace an individual damper having to send a set off to Japan to be looked at was a bit of a pain to say the least :lol:

Of what youve listed Id go with HKS but thats experience from a good few years ago, theres nothing wrong with Cusco, Bilstein or S-Tunes, I do seem to remember S-Tunes being £££ in the UK though

The S-Tunes are expensive, Z1 told me not to go with the S-Tune as they are worse than the standard suspension in my Nismo. If I was in the UK, I would probably have gone for BC, seems to be best for the money but its just too expensive over here in Japan.

I'd go with a set of these if available 

https://www.enjukuracing.com/products/apexi-coilovers-n1-damper-exv-expert-type-v-for-nissan-350z.html?afmc=20f

• Manufacturer: APEXi
  • Levels of damping adjustment: 32
  • Construction type: Monotube
  • Spring rate front: 10kg/mm
  • Spring rate rear: 8kg/mm
  • Fitment: Nissan 350z, Nissan Fairlady Z, Z33

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, ended up ordering a set of BC Type BR true coilovers from Z1.

Was easier than dealing with the hassle of trying to convince people in Japan that a Nismo has the same suspension fitment as the other Z33 models.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dean_asla said:

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, ended up ordering a set of BC Type BR true coilovers from Z1.

Was easier than dealing with the hassle of trying to convince people in Japan that a Nismo has the same suspension fitment as the other Z33 models.

I've had HSDs, Tein, BC and KWs, all have been good on the various cars they'v been on, I guess the main thing is getting them set-up properly and getting the geometry done after you've fitted them. I don't know how low you are going but you might need a few more bits, adjustable arms etc, to get back within tolerance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I've had HSDs, Tein, BC and KWs, all have been good on the various cars they'v been on, I guess the main thing is getting them set-up properly and getting the geometry done after you've fitted them. I don't know how low you are going but you might need a few more bits, adjustable arms etc, to get back within tolerance.

Nice to hear from someone who’s tried multiple setups, can I ask why that was? And what you found the difference (stock for stock, so equivalent geo settings) between them to be?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

Nice to hear from someone who’s tried multiple setups, can I ask why that was? And what you found the difference (stock for stock, so equivalent geo settings) between them to be?

They've all been on different cars, HSDs on my PS13, ultra hard set-up, Teins on my wife's 350z roadster, nice road set-up, BCs on my S12, again very firm, might actually get a softer spring, and KW3s on my 370Z coupe, night and day compared to stock set-up, but running on pretty much the softest set-up.

The most surprising thing was how good RSR springs were on my wife's 370z roadster, really tightened it up compared to stock. Made far more difference than I expected.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 14:26, Sim said:

Not planning to go any lower than the car is now, the Nismo kit scraps enough without making it worse :) . 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...