350z DE Wobbly crank - help needed

Ballwork

Hello everybody :)

First off I hope this is in the correct section. I have a 3 part question!

1. Wobbly crank, is it normal? The car squeels on start up which I suspect to be a bad tensioner that I have pictured, could this have caused excessive wear in the crank pulley rubber? Does it look excessive worn to you?

2. Is it worth replacing anything else whilst I fit a new Crank pulley? Main seal perhaps? 

3. Does anybody know if a Revup pulley will fit my 04 DE? Found one on ebay but its from an 06, and I don't fancy corteco's £140 for a new one.

@ZMANALEX if you have a decent quality one off of a DE that would be a massive help 

Cheers guys :)

IMG_20210425_154650.jpg

IMG_20210425_154619.jpg

Screenshot_20210429-140618__01.jpg

Edited by Ballwork

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a lightweight crank pulley 😬

I've heard many bad reviews of these things. I really don't think I'd take the risk for a little faster revving. Supposedly if you have a lightened flywheel they're not too bad, but on a stock dual mass supposedly they effect the harmonics of the crank 

2 hours ago, Ballwork said:

I've heard many bad reviews of these things. I really don't think I'd take the risk for a little faster revving. Supposedly if you have a lightened flywheel they're not too bad, but on a stock dual mass supposedly they effect the harmonics of the crank 

otherway about, the dual mass helps remove harmonics so if you have neither then your more likely to get wear on your crank.

I've never seen a report of one causing premature wear or engine failure to a VQ, only forum Chinese whispers. 

From UR 

People are getting the pulleys confused with the harmonic dampers found on 90 degree V8 and V6 engines. The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The durometer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there for noise suppression from the A/C compressor, P/S pump and the alternator, What the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to passenger compartment noticeable noise andv vibration.

If you look at some of the pulleys on older imports there is no rubber to be found. We have samples of mostly Honda, An Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Ford, Chrysler 2.2L, 1.8L VW and a few others all with no rubber.

The purpose of a traditional harmonic damper is to keep the crankshaft from cracking which is not necessary on your engine. You have probably heard stories about bearing and oil pump failures. Any abnormal bearing wear is due to a lubricating issue, The most common examples are using the wrong weight of oil, a faulty head gasket or poor engine assembly practices. The idea of increased bearing wear from not having a damper on the engine is false. Using too heavy of an oil can shatter the oil pump gears. Most of the time oil pump failure is caused by something being sucked up into the pump.

The fact of the matter is the pulleys have been out there running for over 5 years and there have been no failures

attributed to the pulleys. There is a lot of internet hearsay about the pulleys, too often people are too quick to blame the pulley first rather than looking into why there was a problem and then go and post it on a message board. You really have nothing to worry about. If you would like to read more info on the subject, visit the FAQ section on our web site

https://www.unorthodoxracing.com/Page/About-Us/564a3413-cd89-496b-ae68-42cb734e5ff8

Edited by davey_83
  • Thanks 1