Speeding fine

JayT

Speeding  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you have taken a speed awareness course in the last 2 years and have been caught speeding again, what happens?

• You receive 3 points and fine
    • You receive the above plus an extra 3 points from the previous course

On 02/05/2021 at 17:54, pintopete58 said:

Very few people will get off . People with more money than sense might win first time. 101 mph let us no how he gets on

Lol a lawyer actually could make your case worse. As theyll be trying to argue mitigating circumstances instead of admitting wrongdoing, apologizing and showing remorse... like a shorter ban instead of points etc as he needs to get to band practice aka second job to make ends meet. 

As is everyones right to take a lawyer in those extreme circumstances. I read somewhere that they are reviewing 12 pointers as ppl are still on the road with 24 points etc. Also mitigating circumstances im sure that will be stricter in future. Hardship has been used to escape where others have been given 6 month bans through totting up to 12 points

104 with no punishment sounds like a place where you pay the police and carry on.

Anything up to 80mph gps should be allowed on a clear dry day with low traffic

Edited by GranTurismoEra

The 104mph was on the A12 near Lower Hacheston, Suffolk. So def not somewhere you just pay the coppers! :lol:

Truth be told the officer mucked up the paperwork by putting a NI code down and not a English one, so when I took my documents to the station the officer at the desk couldn’t actually process it. I got very lucky, and since June 3rd 2004 I no longer speed on motorways/DCs. Not worth it, way too easy to get caught. 

• Haha 1

It used to be the case that police didnt check with other forces as to whether you have previously done the speed awareness course within the 4 years - so if you got caught by a different force to which you previously did the course you could just keep quiet and do the course again in the other area if it was offered to you. Not sure if thats still the case. Doesnt help if your caught by the same force you got caught by before though.

Id always take whatever they offer you with regards to points/fine and avoid court if possible. In my younger days I thought points meant prizes and collected quite a few of them. I also went to court a few times too and from my court experience, its totally pot luck what you will end up getting. I found it was because the magistrates are usually 100 year old pensioners who have no legal qualifications at all, and tend to just pick a number off the top of their heads depending up on how they feel. Once I got flashed by a camera doing 72 in a 60 in the middle of nowhere. The magistrate wanted to bring back hanging especially for me until the Clerk told him that was a bit excessive.  In the end he "settled" on 5 points and a fine when really it should have only been 3 points. Then again, a few years later I was back in court with a Traffic Officer saying he had chased me for several miles and despite him being highly trained and doing nearly 100mph he couldnt keep up with me. Magistrate gave me 3 points. Go figure...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, rabbitstew said:

Then again, a few years later I was back in court with a Traffic Officer saying he had chased me for several miles and despite him being highly trained and doing nearly 100mph he couldnt keep up with me. Magistrate gave me 3 points. Go figure...

Hahaha, he should have recommended retraining for the copper too then :) 

• Haha 1

Only the Clerk or Legal adviser that sits in front of the 3 judges has a clue lol. 

I remember she was flipping through the records to look for previous and said she couldn't find anything. Advised the judge of the bands and said its up to them what they want to give. As soon as they stepped out I asked her about whats beyond band C and she said there are other further categories not published they can go by.... They came back in after 3 minutes and they all whispered between themselves. 

Took the 6 points...they said dont come back basically

The police lawyer was pi**ed....In the beginning she said to the judge "the speed speaks for itself" all animated like some Bollywood movie...waving arms about.....i looked over at her thinking why is she even here. Im just glad she had no influence on the judges 

The case before mine was a mobile phone case where he used it in standstill traffic. That one was a straight forward 6 pointer....The guy tried to use the band practice excuse. When the judge dropped the 6 month ban hammer I heard ppl shouting and despairing like someone died. It made me more shook for my turn. Fortunately the judges were in a good mood.