Speeding fine

JayT

Speeding  

19 members have voted

1. 1. If you have taken a speed awareness course in the last 2 years and have been caught speeding again, what happens?

• You receive 3 points and fine
    • You receive the above plus an extra 3 points from the previous course

So my mrs has had a speed awareness course last year and just been caught speeding.  Someone told me you receive this fine and three points plus the points from your speed awareness course.  Is this true as I can’t find anything when I google it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by JayT

4 hours ago, JayT said:

So my mrs has had a speed awareness course last year and just been caught speeding.  Someone told me you receive this fine and three points plus the points from your speed awareness course.  Is this true as I can’t find anything when I google it. 

Thanks in advance. 

Whoever told you that nonsense needs shooting, utter tripe. They’re two separate offences, the first one has been dealt with by the course (which clearly didn’t work ;) ), so the second one gets the points and fine. 

• Like 3

its discretionary based on area and prosecuting police force. The first time i got 3 points for 35 inna 30 in an old 1995 car.

My mate attended 2 speed awareness courses over 4 years I think.

Speed awareness course isnt always guaranteed the first time

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

50 in a 30 is instant ban retake your test and the fine is a percentage of your earnings 

Theres no such thing as an instant ban.

Its a direct to court hearing where there’s a potential ban, retake your test and fine, but it’s at the court’s discretion; likely, perhaps, but not guaranteed.

57 in a 50 is on the border of 10% plus 2. Its just to allow space for uncalibrated speedos. Translation they're doing us a favour. Since countries like France fine people for 41 in a 40 apparently. Its not right but its still enforceable. If you did 58,59 or 60 you could have got 3 points. The course is usually only offered when on the buffer once. ie 46 in a 40. Police discretion.

I may be wrong but further classification beyond Band C exist for excess speed in terms of punishment. They say 56 days it could be longer depending on Severity. ie 90 in a 30 which could be jail or a year + ban.

50 in 30 is band B, could also be points/ban depends on conditions and severity. If you did that near a busy school zone at 3:30pm on a Tuesday with kids around in a 30 zone usually 20 in London then theyd probably throw the book at you and try going beyond guidelines. Sure nobody died but thats besides the point.

Those bands are guidelines but definitely not guaranteed. Also depends what the officer puts in report. "was racing" "conditions were wet and hazy" "also overtook at zebra crossing"

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

Actually France is one country where they automatically deduct a percentage for fluctuating speedos or dodgy calibration, so when you’re caught you’re caught. And that comes from someone who was stopped for doing 180kmh in a 110kmh, and the adjusted speed was still significantly naughty enough for them to take my licence and €750 there and then :lol: 

• Like 2

It’s really not. The law specifically allows for circumstances to be taken into account, for example if you are the sole carer of someone who would be harmed by you losing your license then you’ll get a massive fine and points instead. 

So you’re wrong. Unless you can point me to the exact legislation that backs you up, which you can’t because it doesn’t exist. 

Ekona is 100% right.

Good friend has recently been done for 101 in a 70.

He drives for a living so cant afford a loss of licence. He's hired a solicitor to represent him and has been told it could be licence loss or large fine and points. Solicitor is a set price of £1000!

17 hours ago, pintopete58 said:

A ban is 30 mph over any speed limit like 60 in a 30  100 in 70 

I did way over 61 in a 40. I got 6 points depends on your record and the judge. There are other factors like conditions and how busy it is. As the police lady said. The speed speaks for itself. 

It could easily have been a 6 month to a year ban. It also could have been 2 - 6 months ban (56 days to 180 days). 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

More money than sense? I’d spend an awful lot of money to ensure I didn’t get a ban tbh, that would seem to be the sensible option!

Fun fact: I once got caught doing 104mph average over a 1/4 mile speed trap, in a 70 zone. Walked away with zero points and zero fine B) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1