New battery, no power, completely dead!

Paulzx

Guys, need some help with my GT4..

Had to use jumper leads to get the car running a few times recently, due to not using it very much, however, most recently it was turning over but didn't have enough juice to start, so I used the jumper cables again but got a very different result this time.

When i connected the jumper cables this time, there was a spark, so obviously cables were working okay, but after that, no power at all. No dash lights, nothing. I actually bought a new battery, thinking my old battery had given up, but same with the new battery, totally dead.

I'm wondering if it's possible that when I connected the jumper leads and got the spark, could it have knocked out a fuse possibly?

I've never changed a fuse in this car, where should I be looking? Or have I somehow immobilised the car do you think? 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

So when you used the jumper cables on the old battery for the last time, did the car actually start? Or was that the point it was dead as a dead thing?

No it didn't, i got a spark when i connected the leads, probably because the other vehicle the leads were connected to was running before i connected to my car, so it sparked a little bit as i connected but when i went to start the ignition the whole dash board was dead. i just assumed the jumper leads didn't have a good connection to the battery terminals so i played about with that but no joy. Now i've got two batteries and same result, the batteries are charged, so something on the car end is wrong

1 hour ago, stevezzz said:

the spark doesn't sound good   there are fuse able links on the positive cable on mine you may have blown one ?

Yeah i noticed that and did have a look today but couldn't see any obvious blown fuses there. maybe I should just pull them all out and replace them?

You will have blown the fuseable link which is connected to the positive battery terminal, just as @stevezzz has said.

I have these in stock and are good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

On 22/04/2021 at 23:39, Umster said:

Basic question so forgive me, but did you connect positive to positive? 

Only time I've seen sparks when jumping a car is when someone has connected positive to negative. 

Yes definitely connected correctly - i made a point of checking that. It probably sparked a little bit because the other vehicle i had connected to the leads had the engine running as I connected the leads across so it was live and you do get a little spark, so i think that was normal. What was abnormal was that after that there was no spark at all from the battery terminal when the other car was running, that's when i knew i had an issue

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 08:44, ZMANALEX said:

You will have blown the fuseable link which is connected to the positive battery terminal, just as @stevezzz has said.

I have these in stock and are good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM if I can help further.

Hi Alex,

I'll PM you on that then if you're sure that's what it is. I'll need some instructions though!

• 1 month later...

Okay so got the fusable link from Alex and it cured the start up problem, car starts now as expected. I've also replaced the battery as that was probably

the original culprit.

The only thing not working is the radio/cd player, which was working before this all happened, it's the original Nissan unit.

What type of fuse do I need and where is it located - is it under the steering wheel?

I have messaged Alex but no reply so not sure if he's around at the moment?