Can anyone identify my diff

Osakakev

Hi

I imported a 350z last year and apparently it has a 3 way hydraulic diff... My mechanic thinks it's for drifting but didn't know anymore than that.

I want to change the oil but no idea what I should use. It's also my daily so not sure it's a good thing to have or if I should swop it out for a standard one. It locks at low speeds (assume that's what it's supposed to do) and clunks when turning at slow speed.

I've attached some pictures, is it possible to identify it from them? 

Thank you in advance

Kev

IMG-20200828-WA0005.jpg

FB_IMG_1602004847351.jpg

IMG-20200828-WA0004.jpg

FB_IMG_1602004843362.jpg

No way to tell from those pictures, the diff is inside the casing but by the sound of it its a 1.5 or 2 way plate diff, probably Kaaz if you can feel it clunking. 
If you dont drift or track the car then you might as well swap it out for something a bit more user friendly, you should recover a few hundred quid out of it too if it is a plate type :thumbs:

ETA that diff oil cooler is pretty pointless unless youre drifting too, probably some more money there if you sell on :) 

Edited by docwra

9 hours ago, docwra said:

No way to tell from those pictures, the diff is inside the casing but by the sound of it its a 1.5 or 2 way plate diff, probably Kaaz if you can feel it clunking. 
If you dont drift or track the car then you might as well swap it out for something a bit more user friendly, you should recover a few hundred quid out of it too if it is a plate type :thumbs:

ETA that diff oil cooler is pretty pointless unless youre drifting too, probably some more money there if you sell on :) 

Thank you, didn't realise it was in a casing! Will see if I can get someone to look at it, hopefully it's a straight swop to a standard diff. Yeah think the diff cooler is quite expensive so will likely take that off when switching the diff.

8 hours ago, Ebized said:

No idea about the diff, but have to say the underside of your car looks remarkably rust-free - no doubt an advantage buying an import and in turn a £saver for years to come.

Yeah that was the main reason I went for a fresh import. It was getting rust proofed in the pictures so hopefully stays that way for a long time!