350z spark plugs oily

Rikz2004

I changed the spark plugs and coil packs on my car today, the car is running much smoother and this has removed flat spots. One of the coil packs failed just before Xmas so have swapped them all for new ones and thought may as well change the spark plugs whilst I was at it (they were last changed approx 2 years/18k miles ago).

I've attached a pic of the old spark plugs. The 3 on the right side (passenger side) are a bit oily and the tips have a white deposit (the 3 on the driver side were fine). Also worth noting that it was cylinder 5 misfiring which is the spark plug on the top left (one that is not oily). Should I be worried at all?

IMG_20210417_201403__01.jpg

I wouldnt say there's anything particularly glaring there or to worry about. One side does seem to be running leaner then the other but how much so will be anyone's guess.

The oil on the plugs is a fairly common 350z trait, the spark plug seals have failed on top of the valve cover. As far as I'm aware these are non serviceable items so it's time for new valve covers. ZmanAlex can help with these 

I'm sure you do, but always try to run premium fuel and regular oil changes (I did mine every 6K). That's best practice for maintaining your 350z. They're normally pretty bomb proof if looked after 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Olly350z said:

I wouldnt say there's anything particularly glaring there or to worry about. One side does seem to be running leaner then the other but how much so will be anyone's guess.

The oil on the plugs is a fairly common 350z trait, the spark plug seals have failed on top of the valve cover. As far as I'm aware these are non serviceable items so it's time for new valve covers. ZmanAlex can help with these 

I'm sure you do, but always try to run premium fuel and regular oil changes (I did mine every 6K). That's best practice for maintaining your 350z. They're normally pretty bomb proof if looked after 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I've read about the cam cover issue, will probably have to replace them in the next year or so when I have some spare cash as it's not too bad at the moment (and I read that it's not an urgent thing to do unless the spark plug Wells are filling up, which mine are not).

I always use tesco momentum 99 Ron so all good on the fuel front. Any idea why it would be running lean? Those spark plugs did seem fairly loose/a bit too easy to take out so I guess it could be that? Glad to hear I shouldn't be worried!