Differential Leak

pmacleod

Hi all, 

Just taken off my differential after work today, went smoothly but when I was taking the drive shafts to the wheels off the driver side one was leaking a fair amount of fluid from between the flanges. I thought that area would be sealed but it kept weeping out as I did the rest of the removal. Anyone got ideas on this? I was just wanting to replace the bushes... Worried I've opened a can of worms now! Other side is completely dry too. The leaking side also moves about a centimetre to and fro and the dry side doesn't move at all.

Any advice is welcome!

IMG20210415223855.jpg

There should be no fluid in that aperture to leak out.

However there is an oil seal on each side of the diff pumpkin which are very easy to replace, which I have in stock if required 

The drive shafts are meant to float and there is an internal circlip on one side and an external on the other which stops excessive float.

If there isn't any leaking from the seals externally they I assume it should be fine... I will put a bead of RTV sealant on the hole in the middle to maybe stop any more leaking out from there. If I notice more leaking then I will change the seals down the line. Thanks for the info though!

4 hours ago, pmacleod said:

I will put a bead of RTV sealant on the hole in the middle to maybe stop any more leaking out from there. I

The recess in the centre of the shaft is not a hole but an engineering  manufacturing indentation so RTV will not serve any purpose I am afraid.