own brand oils

bigtone

Would anyone use a non branded oil?

I have a track day coming up and part of my car prep is to do an oil change..

I'm going for 5/40 fully synth..

Tesco are selling their own brand and have an offer on at the moment (club card) 

£10 for 4lts

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285281604

so would you?

please dont shoot me

• bigtone changed the title to own brand oils
9 hours ago, bigtone said:

Tesco are selling their own brand and have an offer on at the moment (club card) 

£10 for 4lts

so would you?

please dont shoot me

Go for it 

9 hours ago, bigtone said:

£10 for 4lts

so would you?

please dont shoot me

No i wouldn't 

On 11/04/2021 at 10:48, bigtone said:

£10 for 4lts

so would you?

please dont shoot me

The Tesco own is made to a cost, and that cost does not account for track use.

FIne for road if you are on a budget, but for track use something designed for and up to the job :thumbs:

Cheers,

Guy

11 minutes ago, oilman said:

Yup, does not mean it is any good for track use though.

Does not mean that it isn't though.

The OP has a standard road car, not a race car and is only proposing a few spirited laps on track.

However on saying that, an oil more suitable for regular track use which can double up for road use may be  a good plan. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

Does not mean that it isn't though.

The OP has a standard road car, not a race car and is only proposing a few spirited laps on track.

However on saying that, an oil more suitable for regular track use which can double up for road use may be  a good plan. :)

I understand all of that, it does not change the fact Tesco own brand is made to a cost as low as possible and is not designed for track use. Engine oil does not know if it is in a road car or a race car, it knows what kind of stress it is getting and what it can cope with.

There is quite a difference between an own brand road oil, and one that is designed to cope with track use and it is all to do with the shear stability of the oil, and this is not reflected by any specs the oil may, or may not meet.

It is not dissimilar to tyres, you can do a track day with ditch finders, or you can use a quality tyre. They both meet the same DOT rating for road use.

There are plenty of oils fine for both road and track use, but I would not class Tesco's own as one of them.

Cheers,

Guy

• Like 1

How many oils are specced for track use then? Outside of Motul, I honestly can’t think of any off hand, and how many people bother with the expense of that in a road car that sees the odd track day? 

Would I buy Tesco oil? For a fun car no, although these is no logic behind that at all and I cannot fault a single word Alex says. I’d shove it in the dadmobile happily though! 

On 11/04/2021 at 10:48, bigtone said:

£10 for 4lts

so would you?

please dont shoot me

I would read the spec sheet and yeah I might if it fit what I required.

Unfortunately that's where things fall down because they are unlikely to list enough specifications for me to make a decision.

TBN, NOACK and HTHS are unlikely to be available for a 'non-branded' oil.

6 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

The Tesco 5W-40 C3 fully synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of the following specifications:

API SN, ACEA C3,MB229.31/220.51, BMW LL-04

Hmmm C3 and LL-04 standard - might stick it in the N53 325i , but expect to top it up through burn-off often.

4 minutes ago, Ekona said:

How many oils are specced for track use then? Outside of Motul, I honestly can’t think of any off hand, and how many people bother with the expense of that in a road car that sees the odd track day? 

Would I buy Tesco oil? For a fun car no, although these is no logic behind that at all and I cannot fault a single word Alex says. I’d shove it in the dadmobile happily though! 

As you say Motul is one, such as Motul Sport, Millers CFS or their new EE Performance range, Fuchs Pro S, Gulf Competition to name a few. These are performance/track/race oils but are fine for road use and many more than you may think run them daily.

Then there are premium quality oils that are fine for some track use, Mobil, Castrol, Shell and many many more.

The point I am trying to make here is the Tesco own brand thing, and the difference you will find between that and a premium or track/race spec oil. They are night and day. One is toll blended to the lowest cost for Tesco, the others are premium quality oils and that is reflected in their performance on and off track. Like everything in life, you can buy quality or you can buy crap, but is important to know the differences between the two. Tesco's own 5w-40 and Castrol Edge Titanium 5w-40 are very different animals from one another.

You said it yourself, you would not use it in a fun car although you have no logic for that. I would argue you do have logic, or you wouldn't think twice about it. The answer to your logic is, Tesco own brand is not built to the quality you want on track, would you trust it? As I said in ealier posts its all about how the oil can cope with it, and shearing down under hard use on track. Shearing means the oil is thinng, breaking down, you don't want that on track. The engine will not thank you for it.

Cheers

Guy

• Like 4

Thanks for the reply's and your thoughts.

First off I dont want anyone thinking That Bigtone is a tight arse wanting to put cheap oil in his car :scare:.

I spend so much on my cars I cry every time my bank statement lands on the floor, just check Project Phoenix ( running Titan Race Pro R 15w/50 :teeth: )

So to the 350z

parts to be fitted for our track day are...

TAROX ZERO PLAIN SURFACE DISCS

FERODO DS3000 COMPOUND BRAKE PADS 

UPRATED REAR DROP LINKS

K&N FILTER
HKS HYBRID SPORTS OIL FILTER 

FULL SET OF NEW FEDERAL 959 RSR MOUNTED ON NEW RIMS (thanks Alex :thumbs: )

AND FINALLY

FUCHS TITAN SUPER SYN 5W/40

12 hours ago, bigtone said:

First off I dont want anyone thinking That Bigtone is a tight arse wanting to put cheap oil in his car :scare:.

Can confirm its not just oil, hes a tight arse in general :lol:

Good to see youre still about Tone, Richie was asking me about Project Pheonix the other day as it happens, how you getting on?