TASSA and Thatcham

Umster

Random question, has anyone here fitted an aftermarket alarm/immobiliser system? 

It used to (and as far as I know still is) a market where Thatcham rules. However more and more people are going down the Ghost route which is part of TASSA (yeah I have never heard of em either). 

I'm interested in getting something fitted for peace of mind but trying to weigh up costs, security and just general ease of use. Google spews the usual biased crap and I'm after 1st hand experience or what turned people off going down the Thatcham/TASSA route. 

For what car? Tbh any modern car comes with all that jazz as standard and has done for years, and unless you’re buying something uber-exclusive old school is the market for stolen cars that big to warrant anything flashy? I mean all the yoofs want to steal Golf Rs and S3s these days. 

• Haha 1

Mehh it's cropped up in conversation a few times, how easy it is to clone a key and getting a Ghost immobiliser to kill power until your code is put in. Unfortunately it seems like the Ghost system is expensive and doesn't reduce insurance premiums. 

Going Thatcham 5/6/7 gives you a tracker, which is cheaper initially but requires a subscription. This however does help with premiums. 

Only reason I'm curious is, my car is more expensive than my Z, its also been harder to insure (due to theft in my postcode) and its cropped up in too many conversations to not just ignore.