Another smell in the cabin thread... this time 'gas'

prodrive11

I found many threads, all not quite what i experience. I'd call it a 'gas', something like propane ... first appears on drivers side.

Started yday after track day... on my way home. Now it just comes and goes, i can smell it when i'm cruising at low speeds, stopping, reversing. I'd say if it's cat burning something, i definitely burned all on track day ;) but it was all fine then and prior that.

• definitely not a clutch - I had those before i know when it's burning
  • definitely not oil leaking on exhaust and burning  - had that in few bimmers ;)

Under the hood i can't trace to any source, it's rather more in the cabin or the passenger recognised it when opened door - i couldn't at the same time... it's very strange.

Propane is odourless so need a better description than that. :lol:

If you've been on a track day, it'll be something burning so... tyres, brakes, clutch, or any of your fluids (oil/coolant/clutch etc).

I'd go with tyres i think.

Well atleast you can rule out majority of stuff then as coolant oil, exhaust fumes are very distinct, perhaps power steering fluid? that can give off a pretty strange smell if you’re not sure, if you e just been on a track day could be your clutch slave has given up and boiled? clutch feel a little lower etc? 

1 hour ago, Azurez33 said:

Well atleast you can rule out majority of stuff then as coolant oil, exhaust fumes are very distinct, perhaps power steering fluid? that can give off a pretty strange smell if you’re not sure, if you e just been on a track day could be your clutch slave has given up and boiled? clutch feel a little lower etc? 

Thanks for hint,  i didn't thought of slave cylinder, I'll  have to check, clutch is the same bad (it wasn't great when i got the car, main bearing is definitely up for replacement).

As with power steering - i think that's a close call, as i had impression it was affected - but could be track time beating... I'll flush ATF to see for any improvements. 

52 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

I’ve had similar smell on my old 200sx after track days. Ended up being the gearbox oil getting too hot. Fluid change sorted it. 

Interesting, I actually changed gearbox and diff oils two weeks ago.  But well could be cooked, i don't know what actual  condition is my gearbox (shift nicely). Wondering could i overfill it (almost not possible, due to filler placement, hmm)  

3 hours ago, marzman said:

Propane is odourless so need a better description than that. :lol:

If you've been on a track day, it'll be something burning so... tyres, brakes, clutch, or any of your fluids (oil/coolant/clutch etc).

I'd go with tyres i think.

Lol, indeed !  You got me google it, apparently 'rotten eggs' smell from propane/butane is added on purpose to detect leaks ... Nice learning everyday :) 
Can't be tyres, as it appeared this morning after 5mins in traffic... other substances you mentioned are very distinct, it's nothing like it. 

This is so annoying, i prefer leaks ;) at least you can see them ...