Settle This Once And For All - JDM Speedo / Clocks

Lynchyy

I'm looking at purchasing an Import this weekend.

I've read so much stuff online and on this site. Some of it contradicts each other.

So . . . 

1:   If the Speedo has M/H at the bottom (and no the K has not been black markered out), does that mean it has MPH clocks in?

2:   The centre clocks. Do they live read out in MPH? So i could swap them out for a UK set with no problems?

Thanks for any help guys. . . 

I would guess that if the clocks say M/H then the K has been blanked out, as i would have thought they'd say MPH otherwise.  But you say thats not the case, so i dont know.  You'd need a UK owner to confirm whether their clocks say M/H on them presumably.

BUT... 

On a typical import the speed signal wire behind the clocks will usually have been modified by fitting an HKS Speed Defencer (no, not a typo!) which modifies the signal to output MPH rather than KPH.  However ideally you need to find out at what mileage that was fitted, as the miles on the car pre-fitting will be KM's, and post fitting will be miles.

If they are genuine UK clocks though, i think the mileage is locked to the clocks themselves so whatever mileage was on that would remain after being installed in the car i believe.  Could be wrong though.

Regarding the central pods, i believe if HKS SLD is fitted then they output in MPH anyway - but for me at least it was the lack of MPG readout that was the bigger concern - the JDM pod reads in KM/L.  But yes you can just straight swap for a set of UK pods without any further modifications.

EDIT - one more thing to ask (cant really check lol)... by default JDM's are electronically limited to 112mph.  My first one was, my second one wasn't.  Im not sure how this is lifted... whether you need a map or something else.

Edited by marzman

So other than the not knowing when that converter was fitted, it sounds like i should be OK. Going to see it on Sunday. Will make sure i take all the hints and tips from this site, and i should be fine.

If the earliest MOT was 2012, does that mean it was imported then?

4 hours ago, Lynchyy said:

So other than the not knowing when that converter was fitted, it sounds like i should be OK. Going to see it on Sunday. Will make sure i take all the hints and tips from this site, and i should be fine.

If the earliest MOT was 2012, does that mean it was imported then?

Hmmm... could do.  Not sure how long electronic records go back for.  

My U.K. VX220 has electronic records on an app I use going back to 2008. 

My old Celica and Skyline were imports, the Celica had a new facia on the clocks which made the needle read mph not kph. The Skyline had the tech done to it at import, so the mileage was a mix of km and miles. 

If you go to some popular import company sites they explain what they do to make the cars legal, places like Torque GT etc 

19 minutes ago, Lynchyy said:

@marzman How did you find the brakes? Im hearing people say they are almost dangerous when they are the OEM (not Brembo) 1 pot discs?

My first one had stock JDM brakes, second one had Brembos with uprated discs and pads.  Definitely a big difference between the two, but i wouldnt say they were dangerous - but definitely dont take it to a track!  I managed to cook my JDM brakes on a spirited drive out with this club, and i had to limp home with a spongy pedal.  Although this was easily remedied with braided lines and a fluid flush.