Any MOT testers for advice please?

checkle91

Rear wheels off for undersealing arches today and under the plastic sill cover which was full of dirt, I discovered some rot. The lower sill is rock solid and so is the metal surrounding the hole but is this classed as structural for MOT or can I just underseal? 

N/S is solid which is usually the worst side.

Anyone else had this issue?

20210324_131031.jpg

20210324_131026.jpg

7 minutes ago, Azurez33 said:

And for accuracy 12” from suspension component  or suspension mounting and seat/ seatbelt mounting points etc 

You can just see the top of it with the guard fitted. Would where the kidney brace is bolted be taken into account for the 12 inch rule as that is the closest load bearing support I think? or is it literally jacking points, seat belt anchors, suspension etc? Are the insides of wheel arches load bearing?Screenshot_20210324-182146_Gallery.jpg.bcb139b11cc8cf2db38e647da878dd00.jpg

That’s the problem mate, I’ve just welded one of my arches for minute issue, but always take the covers off and clean down there as that’s the real issue with it, it’s 12” from any suspension component or mounting point as it reduces structural integrity if in a crash, so yes if you can see it need to get it sorted and make sure it’s done properly 

10 hours ago, vroom811 said:

I'd advise taking the side skirt off too as there can be rust hiding under there too.  Here's what mine looked like...IMG_3444.JPG.27a8963574cfb0c76d030ed733450a58.JPG

Wow, and the offside again. What was the NS like? Was there much muck behind the skirts ?

No holes in sill and metal seems solid so will give it a wire brush and put the rust killer on before undersealing. Is it worth getting the tatty edges sorted or is it likely to cost a lot ? As you can't see the lip when skirt fitted would rust treating and protecting be OK long term?

20210327_123748.jpg

20210327_123704.jpg

Edited by checkle91
Added image

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/03/2021 at 18:55, checkle91 said:

No holes in sill and metal seems solid so will give it a wire brush and put the rust killer on before undersealing. Is it worth getting the tatty edges sorted or is it likely to cost a lot ? As you can't see the lip when skirt fitted would rust treating and protecting be OK long term?

20210327_123748.jpg

20210327_123704.jpg

Had the hole patched up and undersealed. All rust around sill treated and she is as good as new! All for a grand total of... £90