Number Plate Relocation

CalvinPomfret

Hey Everyone,

Been thinking for a while about relocating my number plate from the stock plate holder, to somewhere else which is detachable (only for photos - it looks way cleaner). 

I’ve seen a few suggestions online:

- Magnetic Plates

- Relocating to a Tow-Bar Bracket

Wondered if any of you have done these or have any other suggestions of where to place it? Pics would be a huge help 😬

Cheers,

Calv

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Two holes. Can fill and respray. You can try the bottom grey lip in the middle but youll need something to hold it in place or the motorised option. It does look off but at least can be retracted. 

Cheers bro, did think of that but the plate’s too thick to fit just on that lip...

I've used Neodymium magnets to hold mine on which has seemingly worked well so far (12mm diameter, 3mm thick magnets on the plate and behind the bumper). If you do go down this route, make sure you cover the magnets on the plate with some form of felt to reduce the likelihood of any marks being made on the bumper.

Edited by Silverthorn

57 minutes ago, Silverthorn said:

I've used Neodymium magnets to hold mine on which has seemingly worked well so far (12mm diameter, 3mm thick magnets on the plate and behind the bumper). If you do go down this route, make sure you cover the magnets on the plate with some form of felt to reduce the likelihood of any marks being made on the bumper.

Nice one bro! Have you got any pictures of it on the bumper & where you’ve mounted the magnets behind the bumper? 

@CalvinPomfret This is the only photo I have of the backside of the bumper. The tape was only a temporary measure as i had previously superglued the magnets on but over time they began to fall off. I've since bonded them on with epoxy and have had no issues since.

IMG_20181118_110354.jpg.a14d9dea8f63c8c1e93c5f5726daf015.jpg.fbb04e1d432cfcfa8808887cc8af3495.jpg

I also have a slightly smaller than usual import plate on the front as I found it fit the bumper better. A typical UK plate is 520mm x 111mm, whereas mine is 408mm x 87mm.

1263394307_image00001(2).jpeg.0e16778c4bbe965f249813b557645db3.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Silverthorn said:

@CalvinPomfret This is the only photo I have of the backside of the bumper. The tape was only a temporary measure as i had previously superglued the magnets on but over time they began to fall off. I've since bonded them on with epoxy and have had no issues since.

IMG_20181118_110354.jpg.a14d9dea8f63c8c1e93c5f5726daf015.jpg.fbb04e1d432cfcfa8808887cc8af3495.jpg

I also have a slightly smaller than usual import plate on the front as I found it fit the bumper better. A typical UK plate is 520mm x 111mm, whereas mine is 408mm x 87mm.

1263394307_image00001(2).jpeg.0e16778c4bbe965f249813b557645db3.jpeg

Legend for this bro - Z is looking clean as hell! Where’d you get the plate made up? This is defo the avenue I’m going to go down for plate fitment

@CalvinPomfret I had the plate made by JDMPlates. They're a little bit pricey (I think i paid about £35 or so for just the front plate in their 3D Gel), but definitely worth it imo. It's the only place I've managed to find that offers Gel Resin plates in non-standard sizes. And cheers!

Edited by Silverthorn
  • Like 1

yeah the magnet option seems the best tbh. Might have to give that a go. Im gona try the velcro plates I already ordered in a few weeks. 

In what form did you buy the magnets. I saw neodymium bars, rings and different shapes on Ebay. They have 3mm discs on Ebay...How do you get those smaller pieces for better effect? 

Was it epoxy resin liquid you used?

These ok?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/small-large-NEODYMIUM-MAGNETS-1mm-2mm-3mm-thick-Round-Rings-Cylinder-Discs/132012556278?hash=item1ebc8fbff6:g:IHsAAOSwDnldkLi5

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=epoxy+resin+glue&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1311&_osacat=0&_odkw=epoxy+resin&_sacat=0

Edited by GranTurismoEra

10 hours ago, CalvinPomfret said:

Do you not have issues with it in crap weather? 

None what so ever, very heavy duty velcro. 

Not sure how long Dave had it on for previously. I have had it for a under a year aswell so it definitely works for me :)

• Like 2

On the subject of plates 'n' plinths, has anyone found or fitted Jap/US style number plate plinths - the sort where the registration is displayed double layer, per an imported vehicle?

I've found just one option, but it's in the official Nismo catalogue at a ridiculous price!