Uprated Boot Poppers

Sim

UPDATE 2:

As per the later post, the supplier has been very helpful and offered softer springs to try, so I'll let eveyone know how they work. 

UPDATE:

They arrived yesterday, well made plastic printed product, rubber boot for contact point, good spring, so I fitted them.

Then removed them.

They do not compress sufficiently and cause a slight bend in the bootlid.

This is most visible around the angle where the boot meets the rear lights.

Although they do work, they need further development, I have been in touch with the maker and asked for a refund and suggested they alter the spring.

So, after refitting the original Nissan popper, the uprated ones, I removed the rear bootlid trim and took out the weight.

This fixed my problem anyway, so for anyone who has the boot not popping problem, take the boot weight out first.

I'll post at the end with results of the refund request.

Original Post:

I found these from a link on one of the US Z FB groups, so I've ordered them, I'll post up how they perform.

https://www.opentop.fr/?lang=en

I've already bought the Nissan OEM "uprated" ones and they worked for a short time, I've got uprated struts but haven't yet taken out the big weight.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to drop this post.

Edited by Sim

2 hours ago, Sim said:

I found these from a link on one of the US Z FB groups, so I've ordered them, I'll post up how they perform.

https://www.opentop.fr/?lang=en

I've already bought the Nissan OEM "uprated" ones and they worked for a short time, I've got uprated struts but haven't yet taken out the big weight.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to drop this post.

Out of interest how much did the OEM Nissan uprated springs cos please??

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

Similar price, around £45/£50 for the pair, so rather than buy them again, I thought these were worth a shot.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

On 18/03/2021 at 13:20, craigmdennis said:

Ordered a pair! Let's hope they work. I tried adding plastic washers to mine and it made a little difference but still not enough with the spoiler weight.

On 18/03/2021 at 12:06, Andy_Muxlow said:

As per my edited first post, mine arrived yesterday and aren't any use, they do fit, but only sort of.

The spring doesn't compress enough and forces the boot up,although you can get it to close, it's actually deforming the boot lid.

If either of you haven't already done so, remove the bootlid weight and just get the Nissan up rated poppers, as my boot works fine now, I have a bigger wing and I also fittted uprated gas struts.

• Thanks 2

I am about to do the weight removal when i have my spoiler fitted soon so that's good to know Thanks @Sim

3 hours ago, Sim said:

As per my edited first post, mine arrived yesterday and aren't any use, they do fit, but only sort of.

The spring doesn't compress enough and forces the boot up,although you can get it to close, it's actually deforming the boot lid.

If either of you haven't already done so, remove the bootlid weight and just get the Nissan up rated poppers, as my boot works fine now, I have a bigger wing and I also fittted uprated gas struts.

Have you got a link to the oem Nissan up rated  boot poppers @Sim I’ve been struggling with mine for years :wacko: and was thinking about the aftermarket ones until I’ve just seen this. 
I’ve got a factory fitted nismo N1 spoiler and I up rated the struts about 7 years ago, tried the penny trick too. I went to remove the boot weight but there wasn’t one or any sign one had ever been fitted, due to the factory fitted spoiler I’m guessing. 

• Like 1

Update2: 

So the guy has been very helpful at OpenTop.

I've explained the issue, sent some pictures and he's offered to supply slightly softer and lighter spring.

He did say the springs he's supplied will easy off but I'm not keen on the idea of flexing my boot to soften the new springs.

I've accepted the offer of some softer springs as my boot has stopped working again on the nissan poppers.

If the new Opentop springs don't work, I'll jusy buy another set of the uprated nissan ones as they won't have been subjected to the boot weight like my old ones.#

I'll update again soon.

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 13:55, SHEZZA said:

Have you got a link to the oem Nissan up rated  boot poppers @Sim I’ve been struggling with mine for years :wacko: and was thinking about the aftermarket ones until I’ve just seen this. 
I’ve got a factory fitted nismo N1 spoiler and I up rated the struts about 7 years ago, tried the penny trick too. I went to remove the boot weight but there wasn’t one or any sign one had ever been fitted, due to the factory fitted spoiler I’m guessing. 

What year is your car? The uprated Nissan ones were fitted on later cars anyway, I can't remember the date.

As per my other post, I've accepted the offer of trying softer springs, so I'll let you know how it goes.

13 hours ago, Jack94 said:

Strange you've had this issue, I've had them fitted to my 350z for a few months now and haven't noticed any flexing/bending. Maybe it's only a problem on the 370z :wacko:

Maybe my OCD kicked in on the panel gaps, it's opening the gap between bootlid and the lights by 3 or 4mm, a bit more higher up but it's hard to measure.

I'm hoping the softer springs work, he's said I should get them in a couple of weeks.