N/S Front knocking

57jam89

Hi all.

I need some advice, i have knocking coming from nsf, it's present at high and low speed.

It started 2 years ago and has slowly got worse (car does 15k per year) and has passed 2 mots with no advisories. I even asked the mot tester to try and find it.

If you hold the nsf wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock you can feel/hear/see at least 10mm of movement, if i jack the nsf up the moving disappears. If i sit in the car and quickly move steering wheel left to right i can feel the knocking. 

I've so far replaced both front wheel bearing, both lower main arms and n/s inner track rod. 

I've also been under the car while someone is moving the wheel between 9 and 3 o'clock and inspected every bush and ball joint and found nothing with any movement.  

Also cv joints in steering rack checked and rack mounting bolts.

Any ideas ?  Thanks 

6 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

If there is nothing obvious or loose then it will be Compression rod ball joints or upright lower ball joint.

This is a common issue and I have all parts in stock if required.

Which arm to you refer to by compression rod ball joint?   Thanks 

Thanks for your input but it's definitely not the banana arm.

if i hold the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock i can hear/ see 10 mm of movement and at the same have someone else hold their hand across the bush and ball joint of banana arm there is no movement at all.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, 57jam89 said:

Thanks for your input but it's definitely not the banana arm.

if i hold the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock i can hear/ see 10 mm of movement and at the same have someone else hold their hand across the bush and ball joint of banana arm there is no movement at all.

Thanks 

That is all irrelevant I am afraid.

That 9 - 3 will be rack movement.

No matter what test you perform you will not find any movement on the banana arm ball joint.

This is all informed advice, however it is up to you whether you take it or not.

• Like 2

OP we've been through this scenario many, many times over the years. We know the symptoms and as ZMAN says, we guys who've been through this know how to diagnose the problem ... I would suggest that your mechanic doesn't. If you do find that it's not the banana arm, it would be good if you'd come back and tell us so that we all learn for the future.

45 minutes ago, ATTAK Z said:

OP we've been through this scenario many, many times over the years. We know the symptoms and as ZMAN says, we guys who've been through this know how to diagnose the problem ... I would suggest that your mechanic doesn't. If you do find that it's not the banana arm, it would be good if you'd come back and tell us so that we all learn for the future.

Hi, it's me checking it not a mechanic. 

Definitely not a banana arm and yes i will post my findings.

had knocking over last little while, thought no, not banana arms etc etc etc

went to change lower control arms as MOT man advised bush was gone in lower arm, thought, '65k may as well do banana arms too'

only seen how bad the joints where when they came off. looked and tested fine on ramps etc 

2 hours ago, stevezzz said:

why ask the question and then ignore the people who know what they are talking about

I'm not ignoring people, i know for a fact it's not the banana arm. 

Reading up on here people have knocking but can't find it due to not being able to put the same weight/movement on the suspension and it turns out to be the banana arm. I can see the movement/hear the knocking just be moving the wheel in my hands so if if was the banana arm i would be able to see the same movement as i move the wheel!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is a shame that when guys are only in for the info that they never come back to let us know what the issue actually was as it will always help other members out with similar problems in the future.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...