E brake is technology for the sake of technology

9:45 and replay at 11:07

Driver left the car in gear and E Brake Engaged. Should have fully locked the wheel maybe.

When I first saw this E brake tech in the Audi A5 I was miffed. What is wrong with traditional handbrake and steel cable? Is it too outdated or too cool for school? Cables could snap, still benefit from being mechanically in gear and observing old school hill safety with the wheels on lock. I get people saying my wheels are sticking out :lol:

Edited by GranTurismoEra
  • Like 1

Not sure what your point is? Guy said he thought the car was in gear, well it clearly wasn’t which means he probably didn’t put the e-brake on either. Not sure anything has failed other than the driver, and whilst I hate e-brakes as well I don’t believe they’re any less safe than a regular handbrake and certainly not any less likely to be put on (all cars I’ve driven with them including my 5er shout at you if you’ve not put it on!). One mistake doesn’t make the tech useless. 

Yeah its a manual didnt see that part. I thought it had an Electronic brake with Auto gearbox. Its actually a Manual. Not sure if its hand brake is mechanical or electronic. If its electronic I stand by what I said.

Ofcourse a mechanical handbrake can fail or it could come out of gear disengaged and roll. I rather trust a mechanical system than an electronic e brake if it has one! 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

I've never had a electronic handbrake fail, I have had mechanical ones fail.

I see nothing wrong with the electrical ones TBH, I suppose you cant impress your 17 year old girlfriends by doing handbrake turns with one though ;) :P 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Ekona said:

Why? It’s pretty simple to tell when either one is on or working. 

Similar reason you prefer an older NA car to an updated EV, Turbo Assisted or Hybrid. There are pro and cons to both. Less to go wrong I guess. 

While this might be user error nothing beats a conventional Rod and Cable handbrake :lol:

14 hours ago, Ian said:

I've never had a electronic handbrake fail, I have had mechanical ones fail.

I see nothing wrong with the electrical ones TBH, I suppose you cant impress your 17 year old girlfriends by doing handbrake turns with one though ;) :P 

What happens when you pull the switch while moving? is there a safety mechanism that stops the ebrakes engaging or does it begin slowing down.

Just wondering what the fail safe is in an emergency if brakes fail or passenger sabotage ie messing with your buttons!

Im no expert but a quick google shows they will come on after an accident automatically, also that you cannot activate them whilst moving (so no more handbrake turns) and to be honest passenger sabotage can happen with handles not just the E button. There are others which will come on automatically whilst in Park on auto etc. It makes a lot of sense as you can link a lot of safety features to it. 

My mate had an Audi with a electronic ebrake. You could use it to stop you while moving but had to keep it pressed. It seemed to stop the car under control. It would not be an emergency brake if the car had to be stopped for it to operate. The main brakes and emergency brake used to have to be 2 completely separate systems with no common components / points of failure, I am guessing that is still the case. What would be the point otherwise?

Good points. In manual and automatic cars you could downshift and use engine braking. In an electric well, I noticed in the KIA Niro they have paddle buttons. I'm guessing one increases and the other decreases regenerative braking strength similar to engine braking.

Could be completely wrong. It wont stop you rolling down a steep hill but it may help friction on a slight gradient. It would reduce the need to constantly brake while taking your foot off the gas.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

That video was p shocking actually. Rare in this age of clickbait. 

I noticed its got 500k views in compared to the few thousand on the guys other youtube vids. I hope he puts some of the YT revenue towards helping his friends out (car repairs and fixing the guy's knee). Or is this being a bit of too much of a good Samaritan esp since the camera guy wasn't at fault. What would you do if you profited from your mates' misfortune by a viral video?