6 months of ownership - what's been done and my thoughts.

Mat C

2 hours ago, davey_83 said:

How is best to go about setting up adjustable drop links on the drive for example? 

I wouldn't attempt to set them up on the driveway, I just fitted them. The car is off back to the garage on Thursday to have some bushes replaced with poly-bushes and the roll bar set up correctly. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, davey_83 said:

How is best to go about setting up adjustable drop links on the drive for example? 

Drop links are fairly easy to set up, ultimately you want to set them up with the suspension under load from the weight of the car (car on ramps and not stands) and set them so there is not load going through the roll bar via the drop link with the bar in a neutral position (parallel ish to ground). Literally just adjust the length of the drop links so they will pass through the bar you are using and make sure the joints are can articulate freely. Easy peasy 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A couple of minor mods' to the engine bay. Red silicone Post MAF pipes and a genuine Nismo engine cover to add a splash of colour to the otherwise dull engine bay!

20210617_171212.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had some more work done to the Zed, i've had some Kinetix Racing HFC's fitted and yesterday i had it at RS Tuning in Leeds for an EcuTec re-map.

Last October i had a rolling road run at a local garage and the only mods were drop in panel filters and silicone post-maf pipes. It got a respectable 328 bhp.

With the addition of the Agency Power true twin exhaust and the HFC's naturally i expected that to go up, somewhere around 335 to 340 i thought was a realistic guess, in hope the re-map would push it to approx 350.

The initial run was a disappointing 324 and the final result was an even more disappointing 334 with 282 lb ft. The mid range gains aren't even significant!

The moral of this story is just keep your cars as they are and save yourself 3 grand!  

21 minutes ago, dave_7 said:

It's not all about the numbers mate. I suspect the response and drivabilty have massively improved? 

The throttle response does feel better and it's removed some annoying flat-spots. Also, the flat foot shifting feature is very good and makes for some rapid changes and comical noises.

However, I've not got a clue how to adjust the TC or access any other features. A downloadable info sheet should be offered or even a printed description. 

And the launch control is useless. Held it at 4k ram, released the clutch and it just stayed put burning out the clutch causing one hell of a smell!

Clutch, flywheel and cylinder were all replaced and uprated less than 10k miles ago so it's not that they are worn out!

1 hour ago, Mat C said:

The throttle response does feel better and it's removed some annoying flat-spots. Also, the flat foot shifting feature is very good and makes for some rapid changes and comical noises.

However, I've not got a clue how to adjust the TC or access any other features. A downloadable info sheet should be offered or even a printed description. 

And the launch control is useless. Held it at 4k ram, released the clutch and it just stayed put burning out the clutch causing one hell of a smell!

Clutch, flywheel and cylinder were all replaced and uprated less than 10k miles ago so it's not that they are worn out!

I plan on getting mine done at some point in the near future.

Sounds like the launch control is not working at all there! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dave_7 said:

I plan on getting mine done at some point in the near future.

Sounds like the launch control is not working at all there! 

Yes, it certainly seems that way! Sounds good though when it's revving on launch hold! I will try it at lower rpm and see if that has any effect.

3 hours ago, Mat C said:

Had some more work done to the Zed, i've had some Kinetix Racing HFC's fitted and yesterday i had it at RS Tuning in Leeds for an EcuTec re-map.

Last October i had a rolling road run at a local garage and the only mods were drop in panel filters and silicone post-maf pipes. It got a respectable 328 bhp.

With the addition of the Agency Power true twin exhaust and the HFC's naturally i expected that to go up, somewhere around 335 to 340 i thought was a realistic guess, in hope the re-map would push it to approx 350.

The initial run was a disappointing 324 and the final result was an even more disappointing 334 with 282 lb ft. The mid range gains aren't even significant!

The moral of this story is just keep your cars as they are and save yourself 3 grand!  

Most Dynos are calibrated differently and can give entirely different readings, have you taken it back to the local garage to see what the result would be there? That'd be a more accurate test and comparison IMO.  

328 bhp sounds a bit high for just panel filters and silicone pipes, especially as the Z's are quite old now so some power is lost over the years.

Within a day of the remap the car developed all sorts of issues. Flat foot shifting was keeping the throttle completely open, launch control was a total failure and it was randomly cutting power very violently that nearly caused an accident. The car had to go back.

After i called them about the faults they quickly realised what was at fault and with direct help from Ecutek themselves the car was completely remapped again. It now has 4 switchable maps, a valet mode and has the full Bluetooth connect set up offering complete adjustment of traction control, pops and bangs and even flames (though its not recommended to use this function too often if i dont want to burn my HFCs out!) The connect also offers many other features including data logging, performance values etc and many things beyond my understanding!

It also means that should a fault appear they can fix it remotely without me having to travel to Leeds and back! Im happy to say the car is all functioning correctly and as a bonus it got a bit more power. I knew those figures were wrong, it just didn't seem right at all! 

• 7 months later...

Been a while since I updated this, 8 months! After the power and chassis mods' I settled with the car for a bit and went to a few shows, a couple of which I displayed at. Looking at some of the other amazing 370s out there gave me a few styling ideas which I felt compelled to act upon. I started looking at various ideas and settled for a mix and match approach rather than taking ideas directly from one or another. it took a long time to get the parts! some arrived within days, others quite a bit longer with one part - the rear diffuser - taking nearly 5 months! My intention was for a look that was unique to me and an athletic feel rather than muscular. In my opinion it works though I was a bit nervous about it, especially once it was committed to the bodyshop! The following parts were fitted; 

Genuine GT-R bonnet vents

Evo R 3 piece front splitter with carbon fibre centre

Evo R carbon fibre fang cover

Evo R carbon fibre rear diffuser

Tarmac Sportz rear spats

Fly 1 Motorsports Carbon Fibre duckbill spoiler

The car had a full front end respray up to the roof and a rear bumper respray. I also had the mirrors done including the bases being sprayed body colour rather than that horrible scratchy matt black finish. And when the front bumper was done all the central black parts including the number plate surround were sprayed body colour too. A nice little touch was done with the spoiler - leaving the underside in bare carbon fibre to match the other parts. It's very subtle but really works well.  After spraying, the body was given a full machine polish and the headlights were restored. It has bought a new lease of life to it! Next up, wheel refurb!

20220416_171517.jpg

20220416_171441.jpg

20220414_175727.jpg

20220414_175538.jpg

20220416_171534.jpg

20220416_171546.jpg

20220416_171604.jpg

20220416_171719.jpg

20220414_175553.jpg

20220414_175629.jpg

20220414_175645.jpg

20220414_175707.jpg

20220414_175656.jpg

20220416_171658.jpg

Edited by Mat C
  • Like 2

Forgot to add - I did a full brake upgrade too! I've fitted Stoptech drilled discs all around with Stoptech pads and braided lines with Motul 600 fluid. Had the calipers fully refurbished while i was at it. The difference is enormous, it feels so strong and positive! 

20220322_135818.jpg

20220322_135811.jpg

20220322_135827.jpg

20220322_135834.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Car is looking SUPER now! Brake setup looks the part too. Would you consider front PPF to protect your investment? Can I ask how much was your front end respray? 

Thanks very much! PPF is not something I have looked into. Probably going to ceramic coat it to give some protection. Was more than just a front end respray, included the back bumper, the fitting of all the parts, cutting the bonnet etc, headlamp restoration and full machine polish. Came to £1700.

• Thanks 1