6 months of ownership - what's been done and my thoughts.

Mat C

Considering the lockdowns the last 6 months have shot by. It certainly doesn't feel like 6 months since i picked up Black Edition 085. I knew from the start that owning this car would be fun and it's not proved me wrong, it's absolutely brilliant.

I didn't plan on doing any modifications, only maintaining it to a high standard and replacing any worn out parts with oem parts. It didn't last long! Within days i had replaced the brake pads with some EBC's all around, next was a simple GT-R starter button to compliment the red interior. Then came some NGK ruthenium spark plugs, AFE panel filters and silicone post maf pipes.

I then got some more parts for the interior, replacing the oddly shaped steering wheel for a Mk2 Nismo wheel which i had professionally retrimmed to original spec and a GT-R auto dipping rear view mirror. The only other part of the interior experience that annoyed me was the level of cabin noise. So i have fully sound proofed the boot area and a few other small areas resulting in a 4db drop. Doesn't sound much but trust me, it makes a huge difference and as a bonus enhanced the sub woofer.

Then to the chassis. I've added 20mm Eibach spacers all around and fitted a new Tarmac Sportz W-brace. Soon i will be complimenting the spacers with some lowering springs and i will also be adding a full stainless exhaust system.

It hasn't all been smooth though, in January a suicidal fox decided to throw itself in front of my car down the A18 resulting in a totally trashed front bumper. Luckily i managed to source a G41 black bumper within hours and had it couriered up to me within a few days. While replacing it i decided to replace all the hardware, fitting all new items and do an oil and filter change while the front end was raised. It's also made me want to get some paint correction work done including a full bumper and bonnet respray. I also recently fitted a Tarmac Sportz quick shifter kit but it gave a seriously annoying vibration/buzzing noise around the 5000rpm mark in any gear and the gear selection itself was incredibly notchy, requiring an unreasonable amount of effort to select a gear, negating the whole purpose of a quick shift. So off it went and i took it back to standard.

So, plenty done and plenty planned. I want the car to retain it's factory look, however i would like a Nismo Mk2 rear spoiler so if anyone is selling one, especially in black then please let me know!

• Like 3

Congrats on the new car. Bit of an odd time to get a Z imo but that's no ones fault given Covid and how it is unfolding 

I think non Nismo cars are more suited to modding personally - more cost effective and won't hurt future resale as much. As a Nismo Mk2 myself modding is something I have stayed away from. I do like the BE's. I think after the white Roadsters they have a certain appeal that will always be there. 

• Like 1

Thanks, i got it in September when life was functioning a lot more normal! I dont want to do any major mods like body, wheels, seats or forced induction, just stuff to enhance the car and make it a bit more capable and easier to live with! 

13 minutes ago, Willsy1980 said:

Very nice, wheels sit perfect with those spacers on too.

Here's to many more months of joy :thumbs:

Thanks very much, I used 20mm all round. Just ordered Tein springs and next weekend (payday!) I will be ordering a new exhaust system, so it's all go!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, nissanjuke said:

what are your intensions with the boot as I stripped my boot out got rid of the subwoofer and now have good boot, happy days  😊

To put shopping and retail goods in! I sound proofed it for exactly that purpose, to lower the noise as the tyre roar is too much. As a bonus it made the base deeper so the sub' is definitely staying! It was a fiddly job but rather satisfying to do and it totally achieved it's claim. Really alters the driving experience - if excess road noise is an issue! 😁 

Edited by Mat C

1 hour ago, Willsy1980 said:

Might have to do a few spots in my boot yet, the short tails resonate and there is a vibration somewhere...

It's definitely worth it, it takes a bit of time but all good and well done jobs do! Make sure you use a mini roller to properly apply it if you do decide to go ahead with it and de-grease the area thoroughly. 

Edited by Mat C

On 20/03/2021 at 09:37, Mat C said:

20210313_123756.jpg

20210303_155728.jpg

Okay, dim question time if I may.

I've in the past added spacers to wheels that sit on hubs of the bolt, not stud variety. A 10mm spacer then requires a 10mm longer bolt, easy.

Our Zs have studs, so when you add a spacer how is this compensated for?!

On 23/03/2021 at 21:47, Loadmaster said:

Okay, dim question time if I may.

I've in the past added spacers to wheels that sit on hubs of the bolt, not stud variety. A 10mm spacer then requires a 10mm longer bolt, easy.

Our Zs have studs, so when you add a spacer how is this compensated for?!

I can see how it might be a bit confusing but it's very simple! If you zoom in on the picture you will see the spacer is bolted onto the original studs with new, supplied nuts. The spacers come with very high strength studs built in and the spacers are unique to the model of car, not universal so a perfect fit to the hub and the length of the new studs are all perfect. I think they cost somewhere in the region of £260 for all 4 so they're not cheap but well engineered items never are!

Edited by Mat C

On 23/03/2021 at 22:08, Mat C said:

I can see how it might be a bit confusing but it's very simple! If you zoom in on the picture you will see the spacer is bolted onto the original studs with new, supplied nuts. The spacers come with very high strength studs built in and the spacers are unique to the model of car, not universal so a perfect fit to the hub and the length of the new studs are all perfect. I think they cost somewhere in the region of £260 for all 4 so they're not cheap but we'll engineered items never are!

Ah okay Mat, how did I miss that?! See what you mean now. 

What brand is fitted in your photo above and any recommendation on suppliers? I think I use H&R on my BM.

I'm looking for 10 or 15mm, not sure yet. Depends what the standard set up on a 2017 Nismo will allow, which I need to investigate. The front wheels in particular sit a little snug within the arches, so just need to come out a tad.  

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

What brand is fitted in your photo above and any recommendation on suppliers? I think I use H&R on my BM.

I'm looking for 10 or 15mm, not sure yet. Depends what the standard set up on a 2017 Nismo will allow, which I need to investigate. The front wheels in particular sit a little snug within the arches, so just need to come out a tad.  

Thanks.

Mine are Eibach which seem to be a very popular choice. 

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 12:42, Loadmaster said:

Thanks.

Im using 15mm from Tarmac Sportz, was advised the 20mm is the max for the Nismo if you plan to go lower than stock.

While I have no plans to drop it low, the 15mm adds a bit of  an aggressive look and fills the arches out, not sure I would have liked it as much with 20mm

On 31/03/2021 at 06:52, Willsy1980 said:

Im using 15mm from Tarmac Sportz, was advised the 20mm is the max for the Nismo if you plan to go lower than stock.

While I have no plans to drop it low, the 15mm adds a bit of  an aggressive look and fills the arches out, not sure I would have liked it as much with 20mm

Cheers Willsy - no plans to drop it either and I think, as you have done, 15mm all round will create a subtle but effective improvement.

Do you mean you bought the Tarmac Sportz spacers branded as Japan Racing?

Thanks

Edited by Loadmaster

22 hours ago, Loadmaster said:

Cheers Willsy - no plans to drop it either and I think, as you have done, 15mm all round will create a subtle but effective improvement.

Do you mean you bought the Tarmac Sportz spacers branded as Japan Racing?

Thanks

Yeah they are the ones, was in for the short tails at the time and they offered those to me so thought makes sense to get them done while its in the air.

£140 fitted

3 hours ago, Willsy1980 said:

Yeah they are the ones, was in for the short tails at the time and they offered those to me so thought makes sense to get them done while its in the air.

£140 fitted

Okay thanks - I'll get a set.

I want to get Abbey to do a four wheel alignment check, so I'll get them fitted by them before they do that.  Agree it's far easier to do it with the car in the air, rather than manhandle those wheels at ground level and jacking up each corner!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...