Advice on Cat S

DeanL

Afternoon All,

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong place!, I'm not 100% sure where a post like this would go, I haven't provided any links as I don't want to break any forum rules 🙂

I've been doing the rounds on the major selling sites and have come across an 18 plate Cat S 370z, the only details about it on the ad are "Came in P/X. CAT S Damaged Repaired" I'm going to speak with the seller tomorrow to see if I can find out any more information but I was wondering if anybody here had any experience with buying Cat S cars?, It's something I've never considered before so I'm a bit out of depth with this. 

It does seem to be coming from a reputable company if that alters opinions or not.

Cheers in advance!

As long as you check the repair, are happy with it, and most importantly get it for a much reduced rate then no reason not to buy it tbh. 

And don’t forget that it’ll be harder to sell on in the future too. 

Hi I've been interested in this as well first thing looking at the pictures o/s rear arch is not inline with bumper so damage could be rear end .so I would be looking in the boot area .I've had acouple of cat d & c in the past can be hard to move on but if you get them at the right price . With out going to see it I wouldn't give any more than 15k

You run an insurance quote on the car yet? Might be worthwhile just to see how much insurance might differ to a car that hasn't been processed by insurance before. 

Harder to sell, more to insure and potentially a life long issue on the car. Google tells me Cat S is usually a chassis or suspension issue at time of writing off. 

I wouldn't bother getting a weekend car that's been written off. Maybe a daily runner which you can run ragged for the last few years of its life, but a 18 plate 370?! That's a no from me.

Insurance can choose to charge extra after running their own checks. There are many accident damaged and repaired cars hpi clear. So worth inspecting very closely but if the retail is for a normal 18 plate is 23k then a CAT S with structural damage id say 15k or even less. Its structurally been damaged so may never drive the same as an original or have the same safety or rigidity.

Edited by GranTurismoEra

Cheers for all the info and opinions guys!, definitely a lot to think about and a lot to look into for the car. Has anybody used AA/RAC or anyother pre purchase inspections before?, as I don't have anybody overly knowledgeable in this area I could take with me would it be worth getting a professional to look it over before seriously considering? 

20 minutes ago, DeanL said:

Cheers for all the info and opinions guys!, definitely a lot to think about and a lot to look into for the car. Has anybody used AA/RAC or anyother pre purchase inspections before?, as I don't have anybody overly knowledgeable in this area I could take with me would it be worth getting a professional to look it over before seriously considering? 

I have and they're good, just don't expect a Z expert. You can call it an thorough and impartial MOT check. They give you the usual HPI/history check and will get in, under and around the car. When you spend big money on a car, things like this are priceless or a good quality warranty (not the legally required 3 months). 

Speak to the seller before you go this route, they will usually give permission with no stress but if they don't, then well it tells you everything you need to know. 

Bit of an update for anyone who's interested, spoke to the seller today, from what they know it's had rear end damage done, it's currently a daily and they've had no issues or warning lights. 

They also recommended not bothering with a pre purchase inspection as it will just get failed straight away, apparently most inspections won't even bother with it as it's cat S so would be a waste of money?.

Overall I'm getting a few alarm bells ringing and it just doesn't sit overly right with me, back to the drawing board!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DeanL said:

Overall I'm getting a few alarm bells ringing and it just doesn't sit overly right with me, back to the drawing board!

The right choice, and we are seeing increasing numbers of well-looked after 370's coming up for sale.  If they are forum member selling you can then look back over their history of the car on here to give extra confidence about a purchase. :thumbs:

17 minutes ago, DeanL said:

They also recommended not bothering with a pre purchase inspection as it will just get failed straight away, apparently most inspections won't even bother with it as it's cat S so would be a waste of money?.

Says it all really :p

Stick around on the forum and see what pops up here, pretty sure @Mike k-g is selling up.

On 14/03/2021 at 19:16, pintopete58 said:

Hi I've been interested in this as well first thing looking at the pictures o/s rear arch is not inline with bumper so damage could be rear end .so I would be looking in the boot area .I've had acouple of cat d & c in the past can be hard to move on but if you get them at the right price . With out going to see it I wouldn't give any more than 15k

If the arch and bumper don't line up properly, I'd say it's not been repaired very well.

My 350z was rear ended and I insisted on them jigging it to make sure it was straight as the impact was on one side and it made some bits of interior trim pop off.

On 16/03/2021 at 12:40, DeanL said:

They just want it shifted. Why would it fail straight away?! If the AA/RAC did a hpi check the mechanic probably wont show. I rather go for a different one unless they shifting it for 14-15k and the car drives straight.