NEW E10 grade fuel coming from September how will effect our Zeds?

RDON

saw ad article about the new fuel grade E10 fuel coming from September and wondered if anyone had any contacts in the know how our zeds might be effected by it?

below is some info from the article I read.

The switch to E10 fuel, which is a blend of petrol and bioethanol made out of materials including low grade grains, sugar and waste wood, is expected to cut transport CO2 emissions by around 750,000 tonnes a year - equivalent to taking 350,000 cars off of roads.

The Government has said the fuel will cost approximately 0.2p per litre more than current E5 petrol — meaning a £1.00 increase if fully refilling a 50-litre fuel tank.

The assessment also found that the energy content of E10 fuel is less than that of E5, meaning that drivers of petrol vehicles will find economy decreases and more trips to the pump will be required - although various reports state the economy difference is minor and therefore we don't expect this to cause any major headaches. 

The overall fuel cost for petrol cars is expected to increase by 1.6% as a result of the transition. And although any fuel price rise is bad for us motorists, it seems to be classic car owners who will be hardest hit. 

When the new E10 fuel comes in later this year, those who own vehicles incompatible with the new petrol will need to continue to use E5. E5 fuel will become the premium super grade petrol when E10 is made the standard and costs are expected to rise by at least 10p per litre.

As a general rule. Cars registered before 2002 are not advised to use E10 in their vehicle due to a range of problems. These problems include damage to a car’s seals, plastics and metals due to bioethanol’s corrosive nature.

The fuel could also be less stable meaning it can make incompatible cars harder to start but it is already used in other countries such as France, Belgium and Germany.

Isnt Super Unleaded % ethanol mix?. Apparently older cars are more resistant to fuel mixes and impurities such that they can take petrol and diesel mixtures as long as the wrong fuel isnt high concentration. Well I heard that from a mechanic. Do people have to rebuild their engines to take E10?

Are new cars designed to use E10 though?

My colleague was telling me about E100 in Brazil. Looks like pure water vapour and recycled misc materials. If they are pushing these alternatives what about the 2030 combustion deadline. Most people wont bother converting their engines to run these new bio fuels and will the new cars just be called hybrids to get away with making ice beyond 2030 Running on E85 E100 etc? 

Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures.png

Edited by GranTurismoEra

This is another of those pointless “green” initiatives in my eyes. If changing to E10 saves 750k co2 emissions per year (equ to 350k cars so roughly each car produces 2tonnes of co2) but as stated has less energy so reduces mpg meaning more fuel burnt then a quick google search told me the uk has 18.8m petrol cars on road (2019) if each of those drove the same miles on E10 at just 2% worse mpg the extra 40kg of co2 produced by each car to make up for the shortfall in mpg equates to 752k more co2 for the year negating the entire reduction. Or am i missing something?

Anyway, rant aside, i had a vauxhall corsa courtesy car last week and inside the petrol cap it stated to use E5 or E10 fuel so think all modern cars will be fine, and as stated the E5 stuff will hopefully still be available for our Zs in 99 octane form all be it even more expensive. 

Edited by G1en
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Are new cars designed to use E10 though?

As of 2011, yes.

2 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Do people have to rebuild their engines to take E10?

Nope. It's more corrosive than E5 so seals and plastics may wear a little faster.

In some cases it could cause pinking, and in very rare cases cold start issues (more commin in more extreme climates), but that's a software solution to resolve.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'm resurrecting an old thread and I'm waiting to be told that I'm asking a REALLY dumb question but please humour me. If I understand correctly, at the moment we have (I'm not talking diesel at all):

• Premium Unleaded (Ron 95)
  • Super Unleaded (Ron 98)
  • Premium unleaded e.g. "Shell V-Powers". 

Then It;'s becoming:

• E10 (new)
  • E5 (was Ron 95 / Premium)
  • Will Super Unleaded (Ron 98) still be available?? Do we need it?
  • Premium unleaded e.g. "Shell V-Powers". I'm assuming these will stay available ?

I'm probably over thinking it (I tend to have the habit of doing this) so please tell me to pipe down and quit worrying. I'm not just thinking about my Zed but generally other older vehicles? Seriously sometimes it's hard enough to just think Petrol or Diesel ? lol

where are you in Dorset, I will show you the pumps! but seriously our Zed's will run on E10 check the .gov website they will still have super unleaded which is only E5 and as you know you should only run super unleaded in any car/bike with an engine you care about:)

• Like 1

Yeah I was worried when I saw this... Been filling with tescos "momentum" as its the only >=98 RON fuel available to me locally.  Will this affect all fuels or just the std E5 95RON unleaded?

It says under my fill cap use min 98RON so I trust the engineer boys at nissan to know more about their engines than I do!