Rear Screen Claim and Repair

Elgreenio

3 weeks ago a couple of toe rags decided they wanted to steal a couple of kites from the boot of my car, they had been there in a shopping bag for six months no issue. Smashed rear screen and took the bag containing the kites, @*!# happens.

I phoned Adrian Flux, who passed me onto Marker Study the underwriters who passed me onto Auto Windscreens the repairers, paid my excess and booked in for a repair the next day.
Arrived at Auto Windscreens to be told the windscreen was there but no replacement seal, the technician didnt want to use the old one as they didnt know how old it was and wouldnt want to take a chance on reusing what could be a 17 year old seal.

AW told me they would be in touch in a week when a new seal had been sourced, two weeks later and nothing, i had to chase them up to be told there would be a 10 week delay in getting the replacement seal through Glyn Hopkins. So effectively my car would be left virtually unusable and insecure for 3 months (i wouldnt want to travel more than a mile or two for fear of the polythene sheet blowing out).

This means that my car is currently sat with a flimsy bit of polythene covering the rear screen, open to the elements at the slightest breeze with the alarm motion sensors covered to prevent the alarm sounding every 10 minutes when the wind blows.

That 10 week wait, Torqen have the part ordered and will have it on Monday 15th of March, Adrian Flux just pass the book, i purchased and paid for fully comp insurance through them, i know they are a broker, but hey, not their problem...........Marker Study, after a conversation last Friday agreeing the delay was too long asking me for the details of the Torqen part and to send them a link to it are now saying they wouldnt be able source a part for AW to fit and it basically isnt their problem, not interested, they passed me onto AW and they can only use an approved supplier (3 month delay to get my screen repaired) and are not prepared to use this part as it isnt from their approved supplier.

Marker Study have now told me that National Windscreens may be able to do the repair, but they dont have the seal and dont know if they could purchase from a third party without Marker Studys approval, any gusses where that is going to go.

Currently feel like i am chasing my tail going around in circles trying to get my screen repaired.

In the current pandemic climate i can understand there being a delay waiting for a part, but when that part is or will be available in days then surely you can make allowances and some kind of effort to get a repair done. Am i expecting too much?

Who are the best people to complain to? Any kind of ombudsman or insurance regulator, surely 3 months without a rear screen cant be classed as reasonable.

What about water damage going forward, or further damage or theft, it seems to me they have taken the money and run with no real interest in getting a repair done.

Anybody got any advice or opinion on where to go or what to do next.

Thanks

All I would say is read your policy front to back and understand exactly what you signed up for. If in there it states that Markerstudy will only use approved suppliers etc. regardless of what you think, you are bound by what you signed up for. That would be my start point, know your position with the insurance and who is responsible for what and take it from there. 

On 11/03/2021 at 16:36, Elgreenio said:

3 weeks ago a couple of toe rags decided they wanted to steal a couple of kites from the boot of my car, they had been there in a shopping bag for six months no issue. Smashed rear screen and took the bag containing the kites, @*!# happens.

I phoned Adrian Flux, who passed me onto Marker Study the underwriters who passed me onto Auto Windscreens the repairers, paid my excess and booked in for a repair the next day.
Arrived at Auto Windscreens to be told the windscreen was there but no replacement seal, the technician didnt want to use the old one as they didnt know how old it was and wouldnt want to take a chance on reusing what could be a 17 year old seal.

AW told me they would be in touch in a week when a new seal had been sourced, two weeks later and nothing, i had to chase them up to be told there would be a 10 week delay in getting the replacement seal through Glyn Hopkins. So effectively my car would be left virtually unusable and insecure for 3 months (i wouldnt want to travel more than a mile or two for fear of the polythene sheet blowing out).

This means that my car is currently sat with a flimsy bit of polythene covering the rear screen, open to the elements at the slightest breeze with the alarm motion sensors covered to prevent the alarm sounding every 10 minutes when the wind blows.

That 10 week wait, Torqen have the part ordered and will have it on Monday 15th of March, Adrian Flux just pass the book, i purchased and paid for fully comp insurance through them, i know they are a broker, but hey, not their problem...........Marker Study, after a conversation last Friday agreeing the delay was too long asking me for the details of the Torqen part and to send them a link to it are now saying they wouldnt be able source a part for AW to fit and it basically isnt their problem, not interested, they passed me onto AW and they can only use an approved supplier (3 month delay to get my screen repaired) and are not prepared to use this part as it isnt from their approved supplier.

Marker Study have now told me that National Windscreens may be able to do the repair, but they dont have the seal and dont know if they could purchase from a third party without Marker Studys approval, any gusses where that is going to go.

Currently feel like i am chasing my tail going around in circles trying to get my screen repaired.

In the current pandemic climate i can understand there being a delay waiting for a part, but when that part is or will be available in days then surely you can make allowances and some kind of effort to get a repair done. Am i expecting too much?

Who are the best people to complain to? Any kind of ombudsman or insurance regulator, surely 3 months without a rear screen cant be classed as reasonable.

What about water damage going forward, or further damage or theft, it seems to me they have taken the money and run with no real interest in getting a repair done.

Anybody got any advice or opinion on where to go or what to do next.

Thanks

Hi.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look into this to see if there is anything we can do to assist.

Regards,

Dan.

On 11/03/2021 at 16:43, coldel said:

All I would say is read your policy front to back and understand exactly what you signed up for. If in there it states that Markerstudy will only use approved suppliers etc. regardless of what you think, you are bound by what you signed up for. That would be my start point, know your position with the insurance and who is responsible for what and take it from there. 

Totally agree in principle, and would have no issue if it was a week or two maybe even a three week delay, but when they are quoting what is effectively three a month delay to effect the repair because they cant get the part when that part is available elsewhere today is unrealistic\unfair in my eyes. My car is insecure, undriveable for anything but a short journey and basically open for anyone that wants pop their head in, jump in climb in and do whatever they like.

It is what it is, will see how it goes.

On 13/03/2021 at 20:54, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been having. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look into this to see if there is anything we can do to assist.

Regards,

Dan.

Have sent you a message.

Thanks