370z Roadster Roof switch Bypass. Open and Close.

rothers2901

Firstly can I say I’m not an motor electrician or any electrician of any sort so I cannot be held responsible for any advice followed in this guide.

Recently I’ve been having an intermittent issue with the roof open and close switch on my 370 so decided to try and trace the fault by firstly trying to identify whether or not it is a switch fault or something else.

The fault occurs mainly after being stood overnight or for a period of time. The first time it happened I depressed the open side of the switch and nothing happened . The windows didn’t come down and there was no audible bleep so I decided to explore the switch. 

I removed the switch housing by pulling firmly upwards the cup holder witch gave me access to the wiring. After depressing the open side of the button and giving the wiring a little wriggle I heard the bleep and the roof opened. This to me suggests a fault on the switch somewhere. I put everything back together and the roof work perfectly as it should. I went out, roof down and opened and closed it several time with no issues. I put the car way in the garage overnight and returned the next day. Low and behold same thing, head scratching time. I repeated the same process but this time opened up the switch completely to expose the rocker switch mechanism and it’s contacts. Nothing seemed broken or misplaced so put it back together, connected the wiring and yes you guessed it bleeped and the roof stated to work again. Now I haven’t been able to confirm the switch is at fault because I don’t know how to and I haven’t been able to source a replacement switch to compare it. There are some second hand switches for the 350’s but I’m not sure these are compatible (maybe someone could enlighten me)

anyway i thought what happens if I put the roof down and can’t get it back up? I’m stuck so here’s how I’ve buy-passed the switch in case of an emergency. 

You will need two sewing pins and a small length of wire bent double with the two ends exposed.

pull up the plastic housing via the cup pic 1. This is only held in by a few clips no need foe any screwdrivers or prying tools pic 2. Unclip the wiring from the cup pic 3/4 this helps manoeuvre the unit better. Unplug the connector by depressing the small tab and pulling it out of the switch itself pic 5. Insert the pins into the two slots pic 6 and touch both pins with the wire as in pic 7 this opens the hood. To close the hood put the pins in the slots in pic 8 and again connect together with the wire.

if there is anyone out there who could add anything please do so also if you can advise on whether the 350 roof switch would work it would be appreciated..

Martin.

85A1110D-938E-4648-ADD9-5F3533E2A5A8.jpeg

F903D731-555E-4B68-A0C5-8EB7B03D63B2.jpeg

1E7982A0-D7BA-4B0F-A7BD-37242751E2A3.jpeg

7B323112-C733-4F82-9C81-BB4997620734.jpeg

FCACCB82-BB25-461F-8556-B2CEF23EDB17.jpeg

5FED5856-0200-4734-A883-25081C83FF0F.jpeg

2434AB8A-1C24-4BD4-BBDF-1B5BD8D69F3F.jpeg

B146E8C0-56B1-49FF-97BB-436B206CB227.jpeg