370z Custom made A Pillar Gauge Pod

Kev T

I have been toying with the idea of having an oil pressure gauge for some time now particularly since the timing cover gasket weakness is now a well known issue and one of the signs is low oil pressure My only problem was where to mount such a gauge with out it looking like a mess !

So When my oil cooler was found to be leaking on my recent service it bothered me that if the leak had been catastrophic instead of minor i would not have realised the problem was there until the low pressure red light appeared on the dash at which point it is too late, so my search for a solution began.

By chance i came across an old post on the American forum about a chap in Canada fabricating new A pillars to a very high standard to facilitate gauges, the solution is perfect ( if not cheap ) for any one who wants an extra gauge or two that look to be OEM fitted. The pictures show LHD but he will make RHD as well.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/BespokeDetails/Bespoke Details A-Pillar/aPillar_zpsab027b54.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8441711719_b51e0913d7_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8442798820_f71b319690_z.jpg

• Like 3

Looks smart that. I must admit I've been toying with the same idea for the exact same reason. I've had to pay for an engine rebuild in the past due to low oil pressure on a previous car (albeit that was due to semi-slicks and no baffled sump, not gallery gasket issues). I certainly don't want to be forking out that sort of cash again if i can avoid it!

It's a slim chance I'll ever need to worry about it, but for peace of mind alone it's worth it imo!

I have already ordered mine so a group buy for me is out, but if one of you wants to organize it an wants the email to contact him you can PM me.

The cost of the Custom A pillar is $350 plus postage which is about another $125 from Canada, as i said in my original post not cheap !

Not sure if anyone has seen this before:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/09-16-Nissan-370z-Single-Gauge-Pod-52mm-OEM-Pillar-Trim-RH-Right-Side-RHD-/173328013806

I don't know anyone who has purchased one so I'm unsure on the quality. Looks fairly promising though! Not too bad of a price either, even after postage and import tax!

• 2 months later...

Ok so the gauge pod has arrived along with a big import tax charge which i suppose is par for the course with goods from the USA/Canada.

The Pod is top notch work and looks OEM, so now i need to get an Oil pressure gauge preferably electrical as i don't want oil lines inside the cabin, any suggestions or recommendations ?

DSC_3864.JPG

DSC_3863.JPG

DSC_3862.JPG

• Like 1

Looks good quality! May i ask how much did you get stung on import tax (given that the pillar was $350) isn't it about 20%?

Can't give any insight on the gauge question though sorry! Maybe contact Abbey, they are close to you.

Hi Mate, import duty came to 64.62p, so an expensive solution to mounting the oil gauge but also a very neat one.

I use Abbey for my servicing so may give them a shout about the oil pressure gauge but it is always useful to hear other recommendations and experience of others first hand.

7 hours ago, Kev T said:

Ok so the gauge pod has arrived along with a big import tax charge which i suppose is par for the course with goods from the USA/Canada.

The Pod is top notch work and looks OEM, so now i need to get an Oil pressure gauge preferably electrical as i don't want oil lines inside the cabin, any suggestions or recommendations ?

DSC_3864.JPG

DSC_3863.JPG

DSC_3862.JPG

Hi did you get it from 3g customs it looks good, very pricey