Use stubby Aerial for DAB

Austin1300

Done a little project for DAB.

First tried to modify the Clarion EP1165 aerial amp in the boot to pass DAB but this did not work out. Got a £16 RF amp from Amazon which is just a small amp rated for 50Mhz to 4GHz. This does not cover AM radio but I can go without that, but covers DAB and maybe even Freeview, though not tried that.

I cut a piece of prototype strip board to fit the case, put the RF amp on with a 7805 5V regulator to get the correct voltage. Unsoldered the original socket and re-used it as I've no idea where I would get a new one.

DSC02446c1.JPG.e9f8e9d82e8fb6bd0f74ccc557c9e246.JPG

This all fits in the Clarion EP1165 case and looks all stock.

Next modded the stubby aerial. It has about 200 winds of wire which I think must be to try and get AM reception but think is too compromised for good FM and DAB. I replaced with a bit of wire of about 7 winds around the core bit of plastic in the stubby, this seemed OK for DAB making up for the short length, even DAB is about 1.5m wavelength I think.

Last in the center console just used a basic FM/DAB splitter to feed a Sony DSX-A510DB. This is working great with all FM stations good and most DAB coming in even on my drive next to the house. Need to try it out more on the road but for now definitely worth while with no ugly DAB aerial in the car.

• Like 1