Pre ecutek mods advice

TheOracle71

Hi, I’ve been in touch with Abbey re getting my 2017 370Z nismo ecutek tuned but I’m unsure which mods I should go for prior to the remap.

Induction wise I’m fitting k&n drop ins and ISR air intake hoses today (thanks Torqen). Not interested in CAI.

Exhaust wise I have stock cats and Torqen short tails which I love the sound of.

My original plan was to add in some high flow cats but I’m very concerned they will make the car too loud (it’s my daily driver).

Abbey recommended I put the stock nismo exhaust back on and add some hfc, however, I’ve listened to vids on YouTube and do not like the sound of this combo, plus the stock exhaust looks crap.

So, options are:

1. Just add in hfc’s and risk it being too loud. Advantages presumed would be more BHP when remapped.

2. Bite the bullet and get a proper cat back exhaust and hfc’s

3. Just get the car remapped as is (k&n drop ins, ISR intake hose, Torqen short tails.

Exhaust wise I like the sound of Invidia, aFe Takeda and Ark Grip but I understand the grip doesn’t fit the nismo?

Im a bit confused.com as to what I should go for; any advice, tips, suggestions are very welcome.

I guess fitting hfc’s would give me BHP gain but power is not an absolute priority. I want the car to sound good and enjoy the benefits of the ecutek remap. 

Thanks all :thumbs:

373EC2DF-053D-4B0D-901F-8EBD59C518A0.jpeg

If you're happy with your current exhaust setup then personally I'd just leave it alone and get the remap, sure you might get 10bhp or so more from HFCs but it's not worth making the car overly loud.

Sure you could pair the HFCs with a completely new, quieter system (like the gemini) but then you're talking £1500 for a small gain, not exactly value for money. 

4 hours ago, Jack94 said:

If you're happy with your current exhaust setup then personally I'd just leave it alone and get the remap, sure you might get 10bhp or so more from HFCs but it's not worth making the car overly loud.

Sure you could pair the HFCs with a completely new, quieter system (like the gemini) but then you're talking £1500 for a small gain, not exactly value for money. 

Thanks, that does make sense as I love the short tails. Only slight annoyance I do get a bit of vibration around 3500rpm but thinking I’ll fit some sound isolation in the boot and boot lid to see if I can cure that.

looks like you’ve saved me £1500 :thumbs:

I'd have gone with the Z1 CAIS on it over the hoses and drop ins, £500 ish Supposed to unlock 30 or so HP with a map. I think they are a personal choice at the end of the day, you have to like the look.

I get the same 3500 rpm rattle with the short tails too, think its just the right frequency for them to vibrate, but the looks and sound outweigh that small negative :) 

• Like 1

If you're not interested in the CAI that's one less thing to worry about. 

Exhausts are unique to everyone tbf, if it's a daily then best sticking with the OEM setup (especially considering it's a NISMO, the more stock you keep it the better if/when you decide to sell). 

Get a valet/security map, get a 99 octane map and get the additional traction tune. All that aside, just enjoy it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Willsy1980 said:

I'd have gone with the Z1 CAIS on it over the hoses and drop ins, £500 ish Supposed to unlock 30 or so HP with a map.

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no chance you'd get anywhere near 30bhp gain from a CAI, 3bhp maybe :lol:

Edited by Jack94

57 minutes ago, Willsy1980 said:

I'd have gone with the Z1 CAIS on it over the hoses and drop ins, £500 ish Supposed to unlock 30 or so HP with a map. I think they are a personal choice at the end of the day, you have to like the look.

I get the same 3500 rpm rattle with the short tails too, think its just the right frequency for them to vibrate, but the looks and sound outweigh that small negative :) 

Please can you keep us posted with the gains, did the bumper have to come off, was there any cutting involved, did you buy through torqen? 

38 minutes ago, Umster said:

If you're not interested in the CAI that's one less thing to worry about. 

Exhausts are unique to everyone tbf, if it's a daily then best sticking with the OEM setup (especially considering it's a NISMO, the more stock you keep it the better if/when you decide to sell). 

Get a valet/security map, get a 99 octane map and get the additional traction tune. All that aside, just enjoy it. 

Thanks, very sensible advice re keeping it OEM :thumbs: and re the remap, that’s exactly what is on my list :)

50 minutes ago, Jack94 said:

I'm sorry but there is absolutely no chance you'd get anywhere near 30bhp gain from a CAI, 3bhp maybe :lol:

Seen a few videos of pre and post CAI and map gains ranged from 16-30 in most cases, hence I said 'supposed to' ;) 

42 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Please can you keep us posted with the gains, did the bumper have to come off, was there any cutting involved, did you buy through torqen? 

Not done yet, will be heading down to Tarmac in Spring/Summer depending on work etc, the silicone fittings at the front side mean no cutting required.

But yeah front bumper has to come off. Once done i'll let you know the outcome.

Sure the wife will love the growing list of stock parts stored in the loft, got a lovely shiney bubble wrapped Nismo silencer up there so far. One less box of Xmas tat :lol:

Edited by Willsy1980
  • Like 1

Didn't know that, i do know the yanks are known to exaggerate slightly, i suppose abbey or Horsham would be the best for advice on what mods would be the best prior to the map, i have a catback going on this week hopefully, but i will probably speek to Horsham regarding any thing else

Edited by ShortPaul
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShortPaul said:

Didn't know that, i do know the yanks are known to exaggerate slightly, i suppose abbey or Horsham would be the best for advice on what mods would be the best prior to the map, i have a catback going on this week hopefully, but i will probably speek to Horsham regarding any thing else

Which catback have you gone for?

Personally I'd go with HFCs and a catback system but if you like how it sounds and don't want to drop the ££ on a cat back system, fair enough, but I would seriously consider HFCs, they aren't crazy loud like decats.

The driveability and variable traction control you'll get from taking it down to see Mark @ Abbey is worth it even if you don't quite get the gains. :thumbs:

All I would say OP is think about how often you actually drive the car with your foot completely to the floor, or with the car in the peak power rev range. I am guessing, probably not a lot. So do you need that extra 10hp, is it going to make a huge difference to your daily driving?

What you are aiming for is a map with increased area under the curve and removal of troughs in the power build. Peak power numbers are not indicative of how fast your car will be post map so dont worry about all the claims of numbers like 30hp for a CAI it really is irrelevant on the road. I would rather have a lower peak bhp map that gives me a smoother and constant power build than one that is not so consistent and is focused on a peak number that is of only any use when willy waving down the pub (when we are allowed back in them of course !)

Regarding CAIs, I know the Abbey guys previously said that the stock set up with drop in filters was the best for power (I think that was for the VQ35HR, so assume it's the same for the 37VHR). As far as US dyno numbers, yeah I've seen all sorts of crazy claims flying around from US sources.