New GT4 owner in Essex

I picked up the car today having had the work done. The manager there has a history of Japanese cars (primarily S-bodies) so I asked him his thoughts on the Zed. Condition-wise it's not perfect but "one of the better ones we've seen", he's very comfortable that's it's mechanically sound and general opinion was that it drove very well (I'm not quite sure how many had a go 🤔).

So aside from remaining gentle on the new brakes, I had the confidence to push slightly harder. There are still a few squeaks and groans over bumps that I hadn't expected but a lot of the noise has disappeared with the new wheel bearing.  I'm pleased to report that she's absolutely lovely to drive - super responsive and turns in beautifully. It's never going to win a concours but I'm much happier tonight. 

In terms of the MOT Centre I'm going to call DVSA tomorrow to discuss. I'll let you know.

This is turning into quite a long welcome thread isn't it?

• Like 1

Good news, they're a great car, glad your enjoying it. The deal doesn't change that. You have to budget for the odd whack with these but they're not timebombs like some exotica. As said above, presumably you got it a bit cheaper as a private so you have some wiggle room.

Glad you getting it sorted and never feel embarrassed to ask about the condition of brakes and tyres (pictures if need be) as for these cars it's a big cost to put right. 

Suspension compression arms on the front are common for wearing and don't often show up on an MOT, yet can be noisy over bumpy ground. 

Which set of tyres did you go for, as Formula 1 garages do some good deals on sets of rubber.

For anyone interested I just reported this to the DVSA who were very interested in what I had to say. Having had the car fixed, I can't present it as evidence but I do have a couple of photos which I am sending over too. 👍

6 hours ago, Nickbee said:

For anyone interested I just reported this to the DVSA who were very interested in what I had to say. Having had the car fixed, I can't present it as evidence but I do have a couple of photos which I am sending over too. 👍

That mot station / tester is about to have a very rough couple of days haha. As I said the ministry take this very seriously so they're going to get a random spot check and every bit of paperwork gone through. 

I wouldnt worry about the squeaks and groans so much, 350s and 370s are probably one of the least refined "sports cars" on the market. So feedback all adds to the experience 

17 hours ago, Olly350z said:

That mot station / tester is about to have a very rough couple of days haha. As I said the ministry take this very seriously so they're going to get a random spot check and every bit of paperwork gone through. 

I look back and think how slack MOT tests could be in the 80s and 90s, prior to the internet and automation. I recall several MOT test stations that would turn a blind eye on faults for a few quid to those they knew well (that didn't include me btw!).  

• 2 years later...
On 01/03/2021 at 19:37, Mikey_S said:

Have a look at @vroom811 videos, some really helpful guides and he's just done a full strip down of his underside. Use that to compare yours and you should have a really good idea of what needs doing. 

Hi..I have one of them too.No.35..there were 76 for UK so we are a small bunch.

we should maybe start a register on here to see how many are left?

Guessing a few have been crash damaged.what do you think?

As for mine, still Pulls well, Drives well but rattly at front.(bushes methinks)

Steve

Hi..I have one of them too.No.35..there were 76 for UK so we are a small bunch.

we should maybe start a register on here to see how many are left?

Guessing a few have been crash damaged.what do you think?

As for mine, still Pulls well, Drives well but rattly at front.(bushes methinks)

Steve

16 hours ago, P15UL T said:

Finally got myself one as well. I've got details of some that I acquired during my search.  

Mine is 105/176. Previous owner was Chris from Tarmac Sports 

had your profile pic on my Instagram page when i still had iG when the new Z got revealed. 

"after 10 years the new Z has arrived". 

• Like 1