New GT4 owner in Essex

Hi everyone

I just bought my first Z - a yellow GT4, 115/176.  I fell in love with it in the advert, so bought it unseen from a private seller in Scotland and had it shipped down. 

"That sounds like a stupid idea" I hear you say. Well, yes it was: I'm fairly sure that it's a complete dog. It does look nice in photos though. 

Anyway good to be here, I'll need all the support I can get. 

Nick

20210225_172341.jpg

• Like 2

@ShortPaul well, I reckon at some point it's had a cheapo respray, there are points where the paint is peeling to reveal other paint beneath, if it carries on it'll need re-respraying. And then there are the noises. I know these cars make the occasional weird noise but much of the time it honestly sounds like something's falling off, to the point where I was on my hand and knees at the roadside earlier. I think my first proper drive will be to somewhere with a ramp!

I have spent a lot of time staring at it out of the window though. 

On 27/02/2021 at 12:20, Mikey_S said:

Fingers crossed it's just routine maintenance stuff that needs doing 

Well, I visited my local F1 centre over the weekend. It should never have passed its MOT early last month, they were quite angry. Needs 4 new tyres, rear discs and pads, a new wheel bearing and a replacement track rod end. When the car's up in the air you can literally shake ithe wheel about so hopefully the bearing is what's causing the noise.  £1400 in the first week - if it doesn't solve the problem I'm in even deeper. 

On 26/02/2021 at 21:24, Azurez33 said:

Welcome mate she looks nice, was it garaged during its time? if not I’d be checking underneath for the crustyness

I don't think it's been garaged but I won't be able to garage it either (mrs bee won't sacrifice the gym). There's definitely rust underneath, it ain't pretty but I've no idea how it compares to Zeds of a similar age though!

On the positive side, I've never had a car which has got such positive reactions: everyone loves it. Even my wife hates it less than either of us anticipated.

7 hours ago, ShortPaul said:

How did it get through the mot:wacko: i would be contacting the garage and quizzing them on how it passed :rant:

I dunno, either it was MOT'd by Stevie Wonder or the tester turned a blind eye for a pint. It's a shame as a clean first-time MOT was a big reassurance when deciding to take a gamble. 

My guys wanted to instigate some sort of formal procedure but we're outside of the two week period. Angry though I am making a call will not get me anywhere and then I'll end up even more annoyed.

The things that need replacing are things that would probably get done eventually anyway. I'm trying to look at it as upfront running costs!

The work's being done tomorrow, so I'll let you know the outcome. 

Edited by Nickbee
Adding info

Despite being stuff that would need changing at some point anyway, I'd say it's the principle of finding out how it was allowed to pass. Did the selling garage not give you any form of warranty?

Don't be afraid of being a PITA to them.  

7 minutes ago, Loadmaster said:

Did the selling garage not give you any form of warranty?

If only, but it was a private sale so I'd be harassing an MOT centre 400 miles away about an check they performed for the previous owner. I really don't think I'll get far. 

I fully accept I took a bit of a risk, lessons learned and all that...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I suppose that if this car's a keeper for a good few years that sort of lessens the blow of this unplanned expenditure. As you've said, some things will have needed doing anyway over the time you might keep it.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this happens a lot, we get them more often these days, things that should have been picked up but weren’t, there are dodgy test centres everywhere and what it almost always comes down to is “can I really be bothered to start this” I think in my entire time being a mechanic I’ve only seen 2 disputes retested by vosa and 1 mot license revoked. Plenty of cars that are ****ed just strangely flew through an mot though! 

With regards to the underneath get under it and find out how bad the Crustyness is and see if the arches are bad before you venture too much further 

• Like 1

Thanks @Azurez33 and @Mikey_S

The underside is rusty but it's a Japanese sportscar and having come from MX5s, I'm hard to shock with rust but I don't know how bad it is by 350Z standards.  The rear arches do have signs of rust - a few small bubbles and you can see an orange tint to the paintwork on the nearside.  I've been under the car and got pictures when it was being inspected so I'll look at those videos and compare. 

I get very attached to cars and I'd bought this expecting to keep it long-term but I'm gong to have to think carefully about value versus expenditure. I'm in far too deep to back out anytime soon, so for now I think it's just a case of hoping I get a few years of fun with little additional outlay.

Dammit, I didn't need a car - this was supposed to be fun.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2021 at 15:53, Nickbee said:

If only, but it was a private sale so I'd be harassing an MOT centre 400 miles away about an check they performed for the previous owner. I really don't think I'll get far. 

I fully accept I took a bit of a risk, lessons learned and all that...

You've never seen an MOT tester or garage be threatened by the ministry then. I can guarantee one anonymous phone call is all it would take and they would @*!# their pearly panties. 

The ministry take this kind of thing very, very seriously. Its not the one that's the issue, it's the many. And they would do an immediate on the spot site check